Polymega announced new controllers for their hardware

I agree with you 100%. As time goes on and emulation gets better, I find it harder and harder to resist. It’s disappointing that even in the recent Sega collection, we are still seeing such limited support and sub-optimal emulation at retail.

1 Like

Since we don’t have an official Polymega topic. Maybe we should use one thread to keep the chat going.

They had a trailer this week which promised Saturn Emulation…

(Saturn Emulation reveal queued up for brevity).

But people are saying, its the arcade version of Sega Rally possibly using Elsemi’s M2 Emulator. OOPS

I love the design of this thing. But if they made a mistake, own it. If they are trying to Mike Kennedy a new system everyone will run them out of town. I hope they aren’t like Mike.

I posted the trailer in the AV thread yesterday. I didn’t know this thread existed. I was surprised by the trailer but after looking into it further I’m not interested. I have og hardware for most so I’m probably not in their target market anyway. For those that are, I hope it’s a good alternative.

I like having modern retro and the originals. Sometimes you just don’t want to put the wear and tear on your 20+ year old console.

I thought this would be a decent alternative to buying systems you don’t really have an investment in such as Neo CD or Sega CD. I’m sure a PC could do everything better. But I like the idea of this thing and I was hoping analogue would have done something simple too. Not having to have 6 consoles hooked up is super nice.

I’m not the target for this thing but sometimes I wish I was. I know one thing for sure. I play my Super NT & NT mini a helluva lot more than my SNES and NES.

Also, my daughter is now at an age where she could get into gaming and I was hoping this would be good enough so that she could rough that system up without hurting my antiques.

1 Like

Just wow.

1 Like

Ha, opposite here, not because I’m trying to say one is better than the other; I just find myself always going og hardware. It requires no settings adjustments or modifications (although PVM/CRT geometry is a never ending black hole).

My Super NT has been unplugged for months (still on launch firmware) because I have been playing my SNES on my PVM. I also love my RGB modded NES.

I understand not wanting to put hours on old consoles. I get it. I don’t practice it, but I get it. I feel the same with garage queen cars purchased as investments. I get it, but it’s not for me (mostly because I don’t have the money lol). Consoles were made to played; cars made to be driven.

/partial drunk post, not trying to be on a high horse or anything

[edit] Also, great point on introducing the next gen on non-og hardware

I don’t take it that way. Honestly, I am trying to preserve my PVM (20L5) more than my consoles. I still play it a few times a week but I also don’t mind the look of SNES via the ossc or the Super NT. I recently moved my Super NT into another room so I can enjoy it on the 65". Not only that, but I tend to play JRPGs more on the Super NT just because its more relaxing and I am not at a disadvantage for not playing on a CRT in that instance.

Did I just see you grilling people about this on Twitter? :joy:

1 Like

I :laughing: @ Ace making this announcement on his Discord server a couple of days ago.

Ace

ANNOUNCEMENT: Until further notice, any and all talk about the Polymega in this server is STRICTLY PROHIBITED . This thing has become a stale joke in recent days and bringing it up in here will not be tolerated. Any and all violations will result in an immediate 1-week ban.

1 Like

I like to grill, so its was probably me.

1 Like

Looks like we gotten more info this since e3. anyone still interested?

Actually polymega has made a case for me to look into emulation again. I plan to buy a Samsung Freesync tv so it could be really worth while to build a tiny amd machine for low latency gaming on a lcd and just use my original hardware on my CRT set up. Since my ossc never seems to fully support the TV’s I like for movies and modern gaming.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the new info was, but after their interview with RetroRGB, I am reasonably sure these guys know what they’re getting into and know where the limits are for a machine like this. The only delusion I found was in thinking they would get big licensing deals with publishers to make exclusive games (a la Ouya), and being staunchly opposed to SD loading. That said, a properly executed emulation console has huge potential and would be great for the community.

Just look how popular the Retron 5 was/is. If this thing can pull off halfway decent performance it would at least be an improvement on that.

After spending a long time dialing in a a PC with CRT_Emudriver and various emulators, I’d love to see an easy, all-in-one solution for setting up a relatively powerful PC with a front end and user-updateable emulators (and analog 240p). Just think of a modern i5 or Zen2 with an updated Arcade VGA equivalent that was basically running RetroPi with some extra ease-of-use functions!

Until then my money is on MiSTer as the community defining hardware replacement.

I’m up for a one-for-all emulation PC.

But I’m not sure this is it. Plus, they blocked me on Twitter for being too honest.

Modern Vintage Gamer hands-on

What did you say?

That they should hire some professional PR people.

4 Likes

What has you skeptical about the product? I just watched the MVG video and they seemed pretty positive on it.

Personally, I’m finding it hard to get too excited about a software emulation PC when Retroarch is already meeting my needs on that front.

1 Like

The Saturn stuff looks great, and a $300 box that does the CD systems is novel. I like it! Too rich for my needs (I’m set!) but I think it’s cool.

I just don’t know enough about this yet, and with their zero track record of releasing hardware I think it’s safer to be cynical and not buy in just yet.

Also, I’m concerned that it won’t be well supported after release because of the small team behind it. The fact it’s already very late and different than what was originally announced doesn’t fill me with confidence.

1 Like