PS2 Appreciation Thread | The Greatest Sequel Ever Made

I’m not particularly interested in network streaming, I tried years ago but prefer an all-in-one solution.

Though there is now a semi-standalone ethernet port solution.

MX4SIO gets it up to disc speed in Deckard consoles, and can theoretically improve.

1 Like

Sounds too good to be true!

From what I’m reading (not based on experience, as I don’t have one yet!)

it’s now aparrently fast enough for FMVs to be smooth, and has more consistent access speed vs jumping around on a disc, but is still technically slower than DVD. The impression overall is similar to playing from a disc but not as good as HDD which reduces load times.

I’m actually already enjoying some games via USB - like Gradius V, fantastic to not have to load CD based games, which sound like you’re playing a PS4 with all the noise!

So here’s where I’m at. 64MB memory card with FreeMcboot all configured up with my preferences.

Got a Blueretro adapter so I can use a PS3 controller.

As well as any other bluetooth pads.

Right now just enjoying the results of Mechapwn, playing all region disc games!

I need to use a tool called PS1VModeNeg to run PAL games correctly, otherwise they ended up vertically misaligned, but have it installed on the menu.

2 Likes

Cool stuff! I have a late JPN ps2 with the internal PSU as well. It must be chipped or something because it can play JPN ps1 and ps2 games and US ps2 games, lol.

I bought a fatty off goodwill with disc read errors and am planning on modding it. I might be able to get to it this weekend too so I’m kind of excited about that!

I just realized I have 4 ps2’s now. That’s too many, smh.

1 Like

Fat PS2 with an HDD and OPL, doesn’t get much better. well it does, if it could read discs but we can’t win em all

1 Like

I’m a bit out of date but I thought the Deckard consoles had the potential to be faster because they could hijack the emulated IOP? but I thought it was all still theoretical at this point.

I’ve avoided the Deckard slims because I prefer to have the PSOne cpu on board but if this is true I’ll pick one up for sure.

Yeah theoretical. But for now it’s at least about equivalent of disc speeds with smooth FMV.

I’m mostly just valuing it being compact and silent right now!

1 Like

[sarcasm] Those jerks from Goodwill online auctions sold me a perfectly functioning PS2 that supposedly had disc read errors! Some nerve.

The disc drive is very tired, but I expected that it didn’t work at all. So no losses there. I’ll refurb that later. I stayed the course with my plans for it; pretty basic it seems for the ps2 mod scene.

• SCPH-30001
  • Installed Noctua fan and 3D printed mount
  • HDD adapter
  • 2.5" adapter bracket
  • 480GB SSD…SSD is overkill, but got one on sale

Swapped out the OG fan and mount assembly, open expansion bay waiting:

SSD in bracket connected to HDD adapter:

No “final” pics but it’s up and running and super silent!

I also have an OG FFXII 40GB HDD and HDD adapter and this is a lot lighter.

5 Likes

At some point the PS2 mod chip scene will get going, right? :eyes:

3 Likes

Yep, slim pickings out there! Also waiting to see what’s going on with Picfix/Diode solutions for the laser, apparently important even if you don’t chip your PS2

Yesterday I finally put to use my white original PS2 (doesn’t even have the I-link) from the bottom shelf where it has been sitting for 5+ years. I received this in a batch of stuff but never has been used as I have a white PS2 slim (last version). I didn’t even know this white original PS2 worked.

I installed a sata HD and loaded it up with ISO files. Some good stuff. Was enjoying Out Run 2 SP last night. Most PS2 games I wanted I already own as original discs but I am interested in knowing what unreleased stuff is out there.
Got 100 bullets and a super early version of Gun Girl but I wonder what else is out there?

Nice!

There are a huge number of prototypes, in the thousands. A lot of them came from press/review versions.

The trick is knowing which ones are worth trying. I can’t help you with that as I’ve not yet jumped in.

2 Likes

That’s the problem. I’m not interested in some unreleased English version of a Japanese game but more of a game that never saw any release. Early builds of games that did get a release are interesting too, sadly a lot of “prototypes” are crap like a two weeks before final build localisation build. Boring!
Time to do some research :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Finally all set. I got a couple of different MX4SIO models from Aliexpress to try, one has down firing power/read LEDs which is nice, but the SD card sticks out. So went with the one with top LEDs but flush SD card.

I also got a cheap little USB drive for the few games which are not MX4SIO compatible. So far of my games Gradius V and The Thing have issues, but both work very well from USB so all good.

Can select between USB and MX4SIO

With the slim model with no external power brick, bluetooth adapter and Dual Shock 3, and games from SD, it just makes PS2 so much more convenient.

3 Likes

Great setup! Thanks for sharing.

Been doing some comparisons of The Thing on PS2 and Xbox.

I’d have to say, the PS2 version is just straight up better.

The Xbox version takes the PS2 version as a base, and updates some textures, usually adding far too busy messy detail. Comparing the two, the Xbox version looks like it has one of those amateur ‘upgrade texture packs’ applied to it, it just makes it look worse as the textures are way too busy and too detailed for the simple geometry.

Checked some comparison videos to see more of the game and yep

Better performance and resolution etc in theory, but the game just looks bad.

How many other games are like this?

I guess it’s going to be based on what was the base spec. Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb has the opposite issue. I wanted to try the PS2 version because the Xbox version is so buggy. But it was clearly designed for the Xbox and cut back for the PS2 and looks really drab and bad.

I think this is why generally I like the Gamecube version of many multi-plats that generation best. Gamecube is usually the PS2 version just running better in higher internal resolution, but devs often tried to ‘upgrade’ the Xbox version with stuff that ruins the balanced design of the PS2 spec like ‘higher quality’ textures or adding random lighting. Reviewers back in the day were ‘wowed’ by these ‘upgrades’ but now I appreciate the balanced design of what is clearly the original version in most cases.

Ooh, the Thing. I need to try this. I had no idea there was a game based upon the John Carpenter movie.

I booted up Psyvariar yesterday on the PS2. Oh my god, the picture quality is so bad! Interlaced and blurred to hell. I own Psyvariar games on the Dreamcast and PS4 which are both in Progressive scan and look super sharp. Why on earth does the PS2 game look so bad? I mean, it looks a million times worse than any 16bit shooter I’ve played.
The opening movie and main title screen look fine but man, the actual main game looks so bad. So bad in fact I didn’t want to play it.
Just for the record, I run my PS2 via component, that’s component not shitty composite.

Use GSM and force 480p.