PSA Windjammers 2 is out today (and included in Game Pass)

Fingers crossed it’s as good as advertised. I have this downloading now….

5 Likes

I played online matches for an hour today, pretty fun and a nice update over the original. Read some people don’t like the new designs and high res art, but I like it. Absolutely give it a chance everyone.

1 Like

I’m digging it too. It’s a fun title and one that actually is better than the original.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of the French graphical interpretation of Japanese video games via Windjammers and Streets of Rage 4. The gameplay is usually there though, so in that respect I will play this game same as I did SoR4.

I appreciate their enthusiasm for these games as I have the same enthusiasm they do to see them continue, but it just doesn’t feel right to me graphically.

1 Like

To be fair I wasn’t SOR4 biggest fan gameplay and graphics wise, but Windjammers 2 feels just right, a great update over the Neo Original. In-game 2D graphics are very nice, and while I’m not a fan of character illustrations though but they’re not horrible IMO.

Yeah, I’m not the guy who’s going to be making petitions or anything like that. I’m just not a fan of the design. Aesthetically, this has been a thing with me and a lot of Eurogames for … well… forever! They just have a very different graphical ideal than I do.

My personal tastes have always gravitated to the Japanese design aesthetic and to a lesser extent US stuff that has a specific appeal. Culture definitely influences graphical game design all over the world and there are obvious exceptions everywhere to these “DaveLong Rules”. heh.

Anyway, it’s great that someone is taking these things on because Windjammers deserved more than the amazing (but simple) original. I look forward to playing it on PC via Game Pass.

1 Like

I prefer this to pixelated sprites or polygons. Even if it does have a slight 2000s Saturday morning cartoon vibe.

It’s a bit of a bummer that, while a better package than the original, they didn’t offer a few more new modes here. Could have been great to see a more robust tutorial for newcomers in particular.

1 Like

It’s an arcade game at heart with really solid mechanics, thus it really shines in multiplayer which really it’s the game’s main attraction, hell online mode is prominently featured on the main screen. It has managed to keep my attention for online sessions of about 2 hours a day since it launched, haven’t even touched arcade mode. Netcode could be better though.

In my opinion over complicating things adding extra modes and tutorials doesn’t really add much value to the core experience in this kind of games. How to play instructions are right there in the main screen, I think that’s enough for newcomers and in the spirit of old arcade games. Best way to learn the game is to play against real opponents IMO.

1 Like