Retro Game Boards - 1st Annual Spooktacular Game Month

It doesn’t help that Halloween isn’t really a thing over here. Shame really, at the moment everything’s got that perfect Halloweeny look, dead leafs everywhere, the sun gives everything a warm bronze hue. The perfect vibe for some gothic-style horror games.

Might do a Castlevania III run tonight.

@BTails you better finish Sweet Home first!

I like to listen to Black no 1 by type O negative around this time of year

This month I’ve also been playing Castlevania Circle of the Moon, which is the first time I’ve played the game since the GBA launched. Fun story, I beat the game in French class in highschool. Take that Dracula.

I’m getting near the end of the game, 80% completion according to the pause menu. This is actually the only portable Vania I’ve played (outside the awesome Rondo of Blood PSP remake), so I’m curious, should I play the other GBA games? I’ve been enjoying this one immensely.

Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight is on sale on Steam for 6 bucks. I picked it up, and while it’s not necessarily a horror game, it’s got some Souls/Bloodborne vibes in the setting and enemy design. I’ve been playing through it today and am a big fan. I loved Momodora 3, too, but it was super short. This one is much more fleshed out and complete.

Unfortunately halloween isn’t a thing over here but I still will be playing something. Most likely Rule of Rose, heard good things about the story.

I definitely recommend playing Aria of Sorrow, it’s an amazing game with a great soul system that allows for some customization to your character’s attacks and abilities along with various equipment to get just like SOTN. Harmony of Dissonance is decent but lacks the production values of the other two and can be a bit of slog in the later parts of the game. Save that one for last if you’re still feeling like playing more Castlevania since it’s decent but also very cookie cutter.

Last year in autumn and winter saw me playing Resident Evil 1 on the Sega Saturn for the first time (played it multiple times on PS1, so why not?!) and RE2 on the PS1.

Lately I’ve been replaying REmaster HD and RE:0 HD on my Xbox One, I’m jumping from one to the other as I get to boring points, lol.

Idk what I’ll be playing yet but I’m gonna play something. Just started playing the Darkness 2 been liking that so far.

Thanks Fallen, I’ll keep that in mind! Will probably take a break from the Exploration style Vania after Circle of the Moon, maybe play through CV3 on Famicom for that sweet sweet soundtrack, but I’m sure I’ll get to Aria of Sorrow shortly.

The worst aspect of RE:0 is lack of item boxes. Getting to a new area in the game, and having to make trips back and forth to cart your spare items to the new area was always a pain. Especially when the grappling hook from the start of the game is needed close to the end! I think everyone had to backtrack for that thing.

Thanks for reminding me I need it! But yeah the item system is horrible in RE:0, worst is the max number of items you can place in each room. I have stuff lying around in several rooms because of it! What was so bad about the item chests?!

So, I’ve been a bad boy and haven’t been playing much more Retro spoooooooky games recently. However I did put some more time into Evil Within 2, my impression are below for anyone who’s interested (No specific plot or encounter spoilers).

I’m nearly 7 hours in, and finally at the end of Chapter 3. For those who haven’t followed the game at all, it adopts a bit more of an “open world” approach to gameplay. I use quotations there since even though it has the staples of an open world game (Map screen, objectives to reach, side quests), the open world itself is rather small. At least within Chapter 3.

The plus side to this equation is that the whole area feels really well put together: every little nook and cranny has been well designed for a memorable encounter with enemies, or a small little plot sequence, or some other neat and unique trick. Unlike a LOT of open world games, which boil down to vast empty spaces between objectives, this one feels really “alive” for lack of a better word. Despite not having too many objectives, I’m still finding myself wanting to explore every last corner of the map to find everything.

Difficulty-wise, I’m glad I went with “Nightmare” (Hard): it feels just right. Despite having done a lot of upgrades, I still feel unease everytime I come across more than one enemy. If I can’t stealth kill one, the fight’s going to be messy, and I’m either going to have to give up some hits, or else use a lot of ammo/resources to survive. It’s exciting and keeps the game fresh.