RGB High Score Battle! - Week 11 & 12: Puzzle Bobble

Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 11 & 12
Game: Puzzle Bobble
Platform(s): Arcade, NEO-GEO, SNES
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Full Game, High Score
When: May 14th - May 27th, 2018

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get popping!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last one week, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MaME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

Setup my 1slot MVS and reset its internal memory for this.

First attempt:

I’ll be using the Win95 version, if that’s not a problem?

Hah I have that same version somewhere. :+1:

The scoring system and the puzzles are different in that version. Without even trying I broke the million in Windows, while I couldn’t pass half of that in MAME.

I really struggle with stage 8. Been quite a while since I last played Puzzle Bubble and think my first attempt was quite lucky as afterwards couldn’t get past that again. The few times I’ve managed to get past Stage 8 in the past I usually just then get stuck at stage 12 instead.

Puzzle_Bobble_SUT02

EDIT:

Thought I’d have one final go before I retire for the night and barely managed clear my problematic stage 8 and I didn’t notice until I was inputting my initials how much my high score had increased dramatically.

What the heck happened?

Yes there is something very strange with the scoring system. I passed the million suddenly at about lvl 10 or so, then again a couple of levels later. The rest of the progression was very uneventful, scoring less than fifty thousand per level, with the bulk of it being the time bonus at the end. There must be some secret bonus or combo.

No idea how you’re managing to get to such high stages with so low scores to be fair.

BUT I think I’ve figured out the scoring system:

Puzzle_Bobble_SUT04

1,590,010 at only stage 4!

Scores page updated!

I probably wont get much time to play this again until next Tuesday but here is my progress so far:

Puzzle_Bobble_SUT05

Seems the more bubbles you drop at once the more the score multiplies up to a maximum of 1.31million or so.

Finding this can be done in stages 1,2,3,4 with a bit of effort without too much risk and at stage 9 very easily.

Stages 8,12 and 16 seem to be sticking points for me at least as the patterns you get have no matching bubbles connected so they can be difficult to clear without being crushed by the time limit especially if luck is not on your side with the bubble choices you get.

I wish this was ported more. I’d love to play this again. It’s an arcade fave of mine.

I only have PB2 and 4 :frowning: in the future I will buy the Neogeo CD version.

Should be a breeze to emulate if you’d like to compete in the challenge!

Was able to get another couple of hours with Puzzle Bubble today and think I’m not getting much higher than 5 million anytime soon.

Started counting bubbles as I’m playing to know when I can pop enough of them to get the 1.31million score and it takes a minimum of 17 bubbles excluding the amount of the colour you used to get them to drop.

Potentially you can get 1.31 x5 times in the first 4 stages but getting it consistently is difficult given sometimes the RNG of the colours you get just screw you over and I’m still having issues with getting past stage 8.

The challenge makes me do stupid mistakes as I focus on the score, it messes with my aim lol. Here’s a slightly increased score, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to do much better, I just can’t milk the early levels to get the good combos.

Looks like you’re the winner for this competition! You choose last week, so it’ll be khaz choosing the next game.

Khaz, what would you like to play?

Space Invaders SNES / GBC, MAME. Default options.
It’s going to be a tough one.

Nice choice there khaz. Used to play on a few of its 8bit micro ports a lot as a kid.

Shame I wont be able to give the arcade version a whirl for this as I’m away in Japan at the moment armed only with a cheap and very useless android tablet.

Nice pick. Does the Taito Legends version work?

Otherwise, this gives me an excuse to pick up the weird and cool GB version for use with the Super Game Boy.

Everything that’s arcade correct should.