RGB High Score Battle! - Week 7: Fantasy Zone II

Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 7
Game: Fantasy Zone II
Platform(s): Sega Master System, Wii VC, 3DS (Sega 3D Classics Collection)
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Full Game, Highest Score
When: Apr 16th - Apr 22nd, 2018

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get shooting!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last one week, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MaME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

1 Like

Looks like I’ll be dropping some of the Wii points I have banked on this one…

Oh, good call… That version is emulation of the master system, so I’ll add that to the list of platforms.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe all other versions are different, so we should stick to SMS & Wii only.

It’s also on the PS2: https://segaretro.org/Sega_Ages_2500_Series_Vol._33:_Fantasy_Zone_Complete_Collection

It may also be on the PSN and Xbox stores?

Let’s start this thing

My phone really doesn’t like the purple background :roll_eyes:

Looks like 3D Fantasy Zone II is the same game on Nintendo 3DS? Hmmm… maybe 3D Fantasy Zone II is not the same… that says “Arcade”

The OG version for Master System is also available as part of the Sega 3D Classics Collection… which I own!

That version is the DX version, which is an emulation of the arcade game. Not sure if it’s different enough to effect our scoring here or not, but it’s definitely not the SMS version.

I’ve been wanting to get in on the RGB High Score battles for a while… But I’m SO BAD at Fantasy Zone. Like, SO bad. Haha. Is there an award for LAST place? :smiley:

1 Like

The 3DS version is definitely different. (Fantasy Zone 3D)

Looks like the Sega 3D Classics collection has both the arcade and SMS versions. So that one would work, as long as you use the SMS version, not the Arcade version! Updated the list for the thread.

Looks like we have three good versions to play now, plus emulation. Get those scores in!

I will double check that 3DS one tonight as I do own the cart and let people know for sure, but I think it’s safe.

You forgot PS2 :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Damn that game is annoying without autofire.

This game is absolutely wrecking my fingers, may have to set up the stick and see if that helps. Really don’t know if I should be hanging around to milk enemies or if moving on nets you a better overall result.

How long does it take to beat?

I am curious about this version…

It specifically says it’s the Master System game with upgraded graphics and music (and 3D). So… not the same or is it the same?

I’d like to take the opportunity to remind people that the Megadrive / Genesis is fully compatible with the Master System, and that the Everdrive can make good use of it. I know far more people have the 16bit console, so they can compete on real hardware too. Could be interesting to mention in the op.

That looks like it is based off the System 16 version so not eligible.

I looked at some screen shots, and it’s definitely different. As an example, the boss that’s a big log throws logs at you. In the SMS version, they’re all horizontal. In 3D Fantasy Zone II they come out at different angles.

Not sure how many other differences there are.

Review_Fantasy_Zone_II_2_3DS_Woodpole_boss_stage_1_2Fantasy_Zone_II_SMS_Round_1_boss

OK, yes… reading more about it, there is a definite difference and @tomwhite2004 is right that it’s based on the System16 reimagining of the original game. Back to 8-bit! :slight_smile:

I think it’s safe to say that anyone that owns an everdrive for the genesis is already in the know about support for SMS. No need to clutter up the topic details, in the same way there’s no need to mention emulation.