RGB High Score Battle! - Week 21 & 22: Life Force

Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 20 & 21
Game: Life Force
Platform(s): NES
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Full Game, High Score, No Continues
When: May 6th - May 19th, 2019

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get shooting!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last two weeks, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MAME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

Due to differences in Life Force/Salamander versions, we will only be able to accept runs done with the NA NES version of Life Force only. Emulation is fine, of course.

How to not suck at Life Force? (I’m playing on Saturn)

I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that’s the arcade version of the game, not the NES version.

This is true but then I’d have to play it on Famicom :hedgehog:

Yeah! The best way to play.

Unfortunately we don’t know if the arcade gameplay and scoring is exactly the same, you’d have to play on NES/FC to compete.

Did a few attempts tonight, and barely got past the first level.

There are differences between the arcade and home ports as well as between NES/FC.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=25228

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16933#p291117

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification Tom! Looks like we’re going to have to be specific about the exact game here, as all the ports and versions are different to varying degrees.

I’ll add a note in the top post, that the scores must be done on NES Life Force only.

After a few attempts and remembering the game a lot more, here’s my first real attempt and submission. I used to be able to finish the game on one life and could rack it multiple times. It gets super tough after you die once unless you die at the right spot and can power up your ship immediately. I’ve never tried the arcade version so I would like to take that for a spin.

After dying at the “escape” portion after the last boss, I could never fully power up again and started burning up lives on stage 1-1 (first number represents how many times I beat the boss) and eventually ran out of lives on stage 1-2. Will play more next week. I wanna get back to my Zelda BOTW. :grinning:

1 Like

In my case, you don’t play it :sweat_smile:

It took me 4-5 attempts to get to the 1st level boss… I am officially crap at this game. It’s still a good time though, I admit.

Now that @MikeRotch has demolished my score ten fold, I feel like I can finish this game (because he’s terrible at video games, and is an old man).

Getting better, finally got to the third stage.

Got to the level 4 boss, I died in lvl 3 again and somehow managed to get powered up.

The lasers at the end of 4 got me, so I went into the boss with nothing though. Got wrecked.

Finally finished the game, couldn’t get much going on the 2nd playthrough though.

This old man spent waaaaay too much time trying to beat your score and did!

I hate you, I’m not gonna beat that one… that’s what, the 2nd last level on the 2nd playthrough?

You’re insane!

Yah, the 2nd last level. I think I can get an even higher score but would probably take me another few hours. I’d rather be BOTW-ing. LOL

Yeah, I played on and off for probably 5-6 hours to get my score… you’re clearly better at this than I am.

Well, this was one of my absolute favorite games when I was a kid.

I love the janky horror vibe this game has got going on, it’s like a shmup version of Monster Party.

I wish I hadn’t left this until the last minute to play (again) as I really enjoyed it. What a great choice of game!

Life%20Force%20(USA)_005

1 Like