Sega Game Gear Appreciation Thread: Separating The Men From The Boys

Looks awesome! One of these days I should get a game gear and do his. I had one growing up and loved it.

1 Like

Those are so nice!! Could you show us the inside with the carts as well? Love the work you put into that, bravo!

Gotten this 14sgd vintage piece for 2023 :joy:

5 Likes

Nice form factor on that pocket gear.

Yes, it would be a winner if it has “street of rage”, “GG shinobi” or “Gunstar Heroes”. Still happy with it… i shouldn’t complain since I got it for 10usd. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like it plays the games nicely.

If it were actually in a mini Game Gear shell it would be great!

That’s so true! :joy:

I picked up an Analogue Pocket and I’ve never had a Game Gear, can y’all recommend any games? I know absolutely nothing about the system.

I mean it was almost literally a Mark III/Master System in a box with a little LCD. It can even just outright play M3/MS games via converters, though the games lose lines of resolution when played on the handheld.

Probably 90% of the library are Master System games squashed to a lower resolution (160 × 144, same as the Game Boy). Almost universally these play better on M3/MS, though the GG can actually ‘output’ the console resolution, and the modern screen mods allow you to play in 256 × 192, and I assume the Analogue Pocket could do that too.

There are a few decent exclusives or variations, see here for some more info:

2 Likes

Great info! I bought the SMS cart adapter for GG. And thanks to that, I collected SMS cartridges like Golden Axe, Shadow Dancer and Kenseiden to play on the GG. There was one cartridge which I regretted buying, Xenon2 by Bitmap Brothers. This SMS game actually lags so much that the sprites/graphics tear terribly and you can’t tell which objects are the “solid” ones and which are the torn graphics residues. Totally unplayable SHMUP game. Also, I realized that the SMS SOR looks so much better than the GG SOR. Although the GG SOR has more colors which make the graphics look brighter and more vibrant, the characters are severely pixelated (with jagged outline) … SMS SOR has a smoother outline and less pixelated with somewhat smaller sprites.

2 Likes

Wish they port this to GameGear soon. :joy:

1 Like

Here’s giving the Sega GameGear TV Tuner cartridge an awesome workout in 2023. I’m bitten by the “retro-gaming” bug again. Yes, I gotten myself not 1, but 2 TV tuner cartridges for my GameGear! :rofl: One is DOA :sob: and thank goodness, the other unit that arrived is alive and kicking

Recently, the Analogue Pocket showed up in my Carousell app recommendation, wow! I didn’t know it is so expensive. Anyway I went on to search for Sega Nomad clone (for a friend’s birthday) but I found this instead. :smile:

3 Likes