Sega Saturn |OT| - Playin' Saturn each day keeps Segata away!

damn tempting, shame i just upgraded my everdrives…gonna go in on this later this year, i think. the ability to keep using my discs, or essentially keep a library on a form of an everdrive? and it’s plug & play? shit yes!

1 Like

Exactly why I bought one. Being able to keep my CD drive installed is a massive bonus. I’ll be using the cart for beta games, demos and homebrew. No more cdr punishment for my Saturn.

1 Like

This will pair very nicely with my model 1 saturn which I do not ever want to open up unless I need to - funny thing is, I have had access to pre-order from them for a month now, but Im reluctant. Waiting on more impressions I guess.

Either way, with this and mode being less fiddly than the completely hoop-jumping Phoebe (in terms of file management), Im glad we’ve no poverty of options for Saturn enjoyment these days.

1 Like

meant to ask: if i intend to buy a satiator this year, is there presumably any hurry to do so? any idea if it’s expected to stay regularly stocked, or possibly be an absolute bastard to find down the road like so many of these things have been

3 Likes

That’s what I wonder as well as I plan to get one hopefully is stock is good.

1 Like

Abrasive has been pretty up front and said there shouldn’t be any stock issues. I think the current stuck is from the first general release run though.

It’s a great product and it’s only getting better - especially once you’ve got an AR cart flashed which speeds up loading to the Satiator menu and gives you in game reset.

I’ve been meaning to do a proper post in this thread detailing my experiences but I haven’t found the time yet.

2 Likes

Is it possible he gets in game reset to work without the flashed AR cart? My cartridge slot is really finicky and I would like to keep the save cart there and not keep changing them all the time. Was very close to ordering one in the weekend but that was the main caveat.

1 Like

Abrasive has said it might be possible and he’ll look into it. I know what you mean not having a save cart but you can always use Sliga’s excellent save tool and transfer your internal saves directly to the Satiator.

1 Like

Dope, I wasn’t aware that the AR cart does things up

Waiting patiently for a 21 pin compatible version of Fenrir. I have all of my retro setup pretty much as I want them to be now, and this is all I have left to do. What a dream to have a Saturn with all of the worthwhile games ready to go :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Fancy a mini Saturn…to charge your phone?

1 Like

I have the Satiator but yes it is amazing. Just being able to boot up and scroll through all of the amazing titles I never got to experience.

1 Like

So my Saturn’s cart slot attained a new level of finicky today.

First some back story. I used to live in PAL land so I had an Action Replay for my JP imports. I moved to NTSC land, got a JP Saturn but still used the AR for 4MB games etc. At some point the Action Replay stopped working. I noticed around the same time that my Saturn won’t even boot without a cart in. No problem, I got a proper 4MB cart and that was that.

Today i find an official memory cart for a couple hundred yen. I plug it in and it doesn’t work, so i take it apart for a clean. Trying to put it back together failed, as the Nintendo-like screws kept going in on an angle, and wouldnt go all the way. I try screwing them into just one half of the shell to loosen em up, but instead, they get stuck. Screwdriver can’t get them out and I didn’t have pliers handy, so I figured ill try the mem cart board in the AR shell.

Plug it in and it works first go, beautiful! Get some pliers and got the screws out of the original shell, reassemble it using normal screws. Put it in the Saturn and it’s either not recognized at all, or recognized but showing 0 memory available.

I’ve since swapped the board between shells 3 times now and it will only work when in the AR shell.

I don’t know if the AR shell is somehow holding the board and shielding together tighter to make it work? I didn’t think shielding did anything with connections… does it?!.. Or the original cart case is otherwise preventing a connection somehow? Completely mind boggling!

I am the biggest Saturn fan out there but I have to say the Saturn’s cartridge slot is total wank. Its second in crapness to the NES.
The best you can do is try cleaning the pins on the Saturn side. You may get lucky.

1 Like

AR is the only cart that I can put almost in any position and it will reliably work first time. The main offender is the 1MB cart, since its supper finnicky and you only can check if it didn’t work after the game boots and complains about the lack of it.

1 Like

I had the original 4MB and it was so hard to seat properly for the system to recognize it. Had to put it in on an angle.

Bought the red PSK cart a couple of months later, and it read it first time. Doesn’t matter how I put it in either.

I think the Action replays work (my does too) over other carts is because they use thicker PCBs than the official memory cart or Ram carts.
Even my Hitachi Hi-Saturn has a really poor cart port.

1 Like

Hoping my Fenrir arrives this week! Reminds me to prep a SD card!

2 Likes

I spent way too much time yesterday trying to add a game to my Phoebe just to play it for ten minutes or so. Try to find an mdf file, no mdf, convert the bin cue to mdf - oh no sound?, etc, etc, - What a pain in the ass system gdemu created, but when it works, it works well and Ive never had a compatibility issue. I just wish it were drag and drop and it had actual bin cue support.

That being said, the pain in the ass of it all really making me consider a mode or a satiator…the Satiator not having in game reset and some compat issues is such a bummer for it being the most expensive device on the market.

2 Likes

There’s also the MODE which I think is a bit more expensive, but it works like a charm for my Dreamcast and supports pretty much every file type. It was as easy as drag and drop for the games.