Sega Saturn |OT| - Playin' Saturn each day keeps Segata away!

The Satiator does have IGR provided you have an action replay. Once you flash your AR with custom firmware (does not remove any functionality) you can reset to the Satiator menu with a button combination.

There are a few kinks to be worked out with the Satiator but by and large it has been fantastic IMO.

I have the Satiator. Works with every game I throw at it. The only issue I have is CD audio tracks cutting out but I have a feeling that is down to a slower than needed SD card.

1 Like

The Mode is really good. I have one on my saturn, and itā€™s been great. I would have went with the Fenrir, but thatā€™s only for model 1 systems.

I think that just changed though! Last I saw they were doing pre-orders for the Model 2 version.

Thatā€™s awesome! I havenā€™t used one, but it seems like as really nice option, and weā€™ll priced too

I preordered the 21-pin Fenrir for my Japanese Model 2 console from Castlemania in April and it still havenā€™t shipped. The shipping estimate went from May to early June and now to mid-July. All the while Ced made units available on his own site at shop.fenrir-ode.fr which actually shipped. I donā€™t understand why he wouldnā€™t supply his distributor so they can fulfill orders. Iā€™m just chaffed at paying a higher price on the Castlemania preorder thatā€™s been in limbo for 3 months. It probably wonā€™t get delivered before I have to move to a new apartment next month. Hope they get their shit together soon. Iā€™ve been putting off playing Saturn until I get my ODE; Iā€™m over burning CDs!

1 Like

This fixed my cartridge slot but Iā€™m scared of even looking at the thing now.

1 Like

Sonic R is the greatest game of all time.

Simple as.

4 Likes

Got my Fenrir 21-Pin last week, installed and setup a couple days ago (Tip: definitely use the recommended SD card formatters). Compatibility has been great so far, though I havenā€™t tested many games. I did boot up hacks of Grandia, Legend of Oasis and Sakura Wars with no issues though. Updates are coming often as well; In The Hunt was unplayable according to the compatibility lists I had found, but I tested and played through the first level just fine.

One question though, hass anyone here modded the Saturn battery at all? I have seen mods to add 2 AA batteries as well as an FRAM chip to make the battery last longer/forever. I wonder if it is worth it.

I considered it but instead Iā€™ve been using homebrew (slingaā€™s save game copier) to manually copy save files from the internal memory to the Satiator at the end of a gameplay session. AFAIK it only supports the Satiator and the MODE at this stage though.

So after bagging Mr. Bones I thought I would report on my thoughts so far.
After playing for a bit the past couple of days, I am sad to report I made it to level three. Andā€¦ Well, itā€™s an interesting experience thatā€™s for sure.
The intro is deliciously 90s feeling and I get a kinda Metallica feel from the game so far. I will admit that the first level does not provide a very exciting game experience. While story wise it makes complete sense, gameplay wise itā€™s as boring as hell and my main thought was, ā€œWhen will this end?ā€ The concept of the video background mustā€™ve been impressive at the time, but it just plays so badly. Running away and avoiding purple things just isnā€™t all that fun in this.
Level two, The mausoleum sounds exciting, but it plays pretty badly as well. Jumping to avoid leg grabbing skellys and then zapping or maybe jumping on walking skellies, Iā€™m not too sure. The worst part was there is no clear indication youā€™ve taken damage. Iā€™d lose limbs, and pick them up again, almost randomly at times and sometimes youā€™d get hit in such quick succession youā€™re entire life would disappear. Very strange.
Level three looks a bit more platformy, but with big characters it makes it hard to tell whatā€™s going on. Many attacks received from dudes chucking things from off screen. A very short range laser attack thing meant I usually took damage before I got in range to use it from static enemies. And thatā€™s as far as Iā€™ve been so far.

So, it looks to me like each level is like a minigame, or different gimmick, which I find interesting, but also confusing as well. Obviously you are meant to play through multiple times and learn that way. Luckily the game has a level select meaning you donā€™t have to plug through the earlier levels to get back to where you left. On the one hand, the variety seems like a good idea, on the other it likely means that none of the play styles are fleshed (gedit?) out all that well. Iā€™ll keep at it and see how it goes, BUT Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t pay through the nose for this one.

1 Like

I ended up just getting 2 batteries and taping one to the inside of the CD lid. I ordered a Pseudo Saturn Kai to backup save data, Iā€™m not sure if the Fenrir will play nice but I mostly needed a RAM cart.

1 Like

Decided to hook up my Sega Saturn because I wanted to play some Darkstalkers.

Apparently after sitting in storage a few months my saturn no longer reads games.

Great

Damn, that sucks :confused: What will you do next?

I found that my Retrobit controller just doesnā€™t even work anymore for some reason yesterday. Good thing I have some spares.

I was going to buy a laser but the only ones I can find are from China. I might grab a broken Sega Saturn and fix it up.

1 Like

What have you done to try and fix it? Did you try cleaning the laser?

Hope that works out!

Ah man, that sucks, I wonder if itā€™s the battery? Can it be used wired? Iā€™ve been meaning to pick one up but all the negative impressions are off-putting.

Itā€™s the wired one oddly enough. The build and everything is great, pretty much identical to the OEM ones. For some reason itā€™s just not working now

1 Like