Stunt Racing Games

Downhill Domination on PS2 is really good. It’s SSX but with mountain bikes.

1 Like

I love Whiplash. I still have it installed on my Win98 machine.

1 Like

Stunts is one of those games I played for hours and hours… and probably still could.

Great to read that thread.
Stunt Car Racer is for me the godfather of the genre and I still find it incredible ! I spent so much time on the Amiga version, the physics was so tangible. And IMO, relatively to my humble experience and personal taste, more than a stunt mode, this is what defines the genre, a tangible physics that reminds a sim but with some crazy tracks.
At that time there was Hard Drivin’ in arcade, the other pioneer with realistic controls. I don’t know if one of these two games has influence the other, they were released the same year.

Recently the first Motorstorm on PS3 was very cool, even if I would have expected a more realistic physics. Some of the programmers of Evolution Studios came from flight simulators company DID.

Wildtrax (Stunt Race FX) is an honest game on SFC, controls aren’t very good due to the poor framerate but the tracks design is very solid.

My favorite, even if it may not reach the genre for everybody, is F-Zero X. Ok the serie is more futuristic racing game but this one has a solid emphasis on the physics. Even a “simple” track can provide so much fun to take it correctly, and delivers adrenaline against the 29 competitors in Grand Prix, that speak for itself.
It has the more satisfying efficient line control that I had experimented in a game, at least with a stick, but you have to play it with the original N64 pad to have the good calibration (I tested emu + GC pad, not good).
The way you have to gently reach the apex with a bit of anticipation not to lose the grip, with the incredible precision of the controls and the feels of the stick who delivers a sort of haptics mecanic feedback very sim like. And when you let go the control stick by leaving the curve to not lose speed.
In a simple loop (or a spiral) you can feel and see the efficient line for the max speed by releasing the control of the ship and let it drift at the right place.
It feels like tai chi but at 1000km/h.
And the tracks have very unique and brilliant “stunt” design.
The recordman WMJ has made some tutorials on youtube with great explanations of the driving mecanics and interactions, like this one :

Or for readers only :
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/n64/197414-f-zero-x/faqs/75061

I personally prefer the Grand Prix mode in F-Zero X and have not the skill to perform the advanced techniques of speedrunners, but I did this video of a clean GP :

I can’t believe I didn’t think of F Zero. X and GX in particular have really malleable physics. Miyamoto always talked about wanting to produce and direct games which you want to pick and play beyond having more content, or harder difficulty settings and I think F Zero X and Wave Race 64 both nail that due to the ‘feel’ of both games. I don’t think I’ll ever truly tire of either.

You’re making me want to play X again now. Is that alternative title screen in your video exclusive to the Japanese version? Or did I never master it back in the day!

Nice work, I really need to give X a go.

Interesting to hear this, because it’s true. That’s the best part if his games.

Is there a full quote on this I could read? Or series of quotes? I’d love to read more about this topic.

1 Like

You must finish first all cups in Master to have this beautiful artwork.
But first you unlock an image of the comics behind the box, all cups first in Expert if I am correct. The resolution being too low for it, it’s ugly. So you have to be a master !

I’m one of the few, but I really love Club Drive on the Atari Jaguar. It was like an open world sequel to Hard Drivin’/Race Drivin’.

Some more games in this genre that people haven’t mentioned yet is the Midtown Madness series and the Runabout series.

Midtown Madness 3 (XB)

Crash City Mayhem/Runabout 3D (3DS)

1 Like

I can’t tell with the trailer, but what is the goal of a Midtown Madness?

Crash City Mayhem looks similar to this old 60fps DS game that @harborline_765 was chatting to me about. Need to pick it up!

Clash King (aka Sideswiped) from 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDGyyq1wSMU&feature=share

The Midtown Madness games have numerous single player and multiplayer racing modes, along with a free roam mode and Midtown Madness 3 added a mission mode. The mission mode in MM3 has you work undercover completing various tasks in vehicle based jobs, such as pizza delivery, stunt driver, policeman, bus driver, etc. The plot is goofy, but somewhat fun.

1 Like

The Midtown Madness games are pretty awesome. Best experienced on the PC!

Motocross Madness is another great one… If you go in the free roam mode and try to leave the limits of the map, it flings you hundreds of feet inland… Hilarious when done in groups on LAN.

I’ve only ever played MM3. Cool that MM still has a community to this day that puts out content and gets together for online multiplayer. Back during that time frame, I was into Starlancer, Crimson Skies and Close Combat by Microsoft. Microsoft used to put out some quality games in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.

1 Like

MX vs ATV also does this! Got the shock of my life the first time.

Need to play one of these!

Pizza Parking on Switch.

It’s bad in so many ways, interface, but it has the driving lesson skill challenge I love so much. And it was less than £1 on the Switch eshop.

New one on Switch…

REKT! High Octane Stunts

Looks great

1 Like

Gives me strong Rush 2 (n64) stuntmode vibes which is awesome.

1 Like

Yes!

Apparently this is an iOS port, but it reviewed well there.

Get REKT for free on 22nd December

www.qubicgames.com/15years/

Qualify for the promotion by downloading Coloring Book (free) www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Coloring-Book-1470537.html