Stunt Racing Games

I finished Sega AM2’s The King of Route 66 this evening and funnily enough when the credits were rolling I could only think about this thread!

Because the game‘s unfair AI practically forces you to seek out shortcuts and jumps in nearly every route it very much feels like a stunt racing game. It even pays off to fire off some nitro before hitting a stunt jump so you don’t lose speed crashing through scenery. And the big lumbering trucks that you ride have a satisfying heft to them when being thrown around corners or lined up before a jump.

The game even has its own sense of humour - this Ferris wheel you transport is so big you’re basically forced to use the driver cam, haha.

2 Likes

Big Surf Island on Burnout Paradise Remastered, was, to my surprise, wholly stunt focused! And it’s very good.

Your recommended vehicle handles like an off-road buggy, with bouncy suspension and a slide-y but controllable handling model, and the island itself, while small, is densely packed and well designed for pulling off stunt tricks, you’re rarely more than a few seconds away from some way to catch big air, and there’s plenty of hidden tunnels and little areas to mess around in like construction sites. Thankfully the game’s open-ended structure lends itself well to this sort of setup, races and marked man events often require exploiting stunts for shortcuts to win, and the stunt challenges feature fittingly large scoring goals.

1 Like

Sorry I missed this but I had to ask - how was Runabout 3D compared with the other games in the series? I’m still interested in trying it, but I’d be happy to pass up on it if the older games were significantly better. Though if it has a superb 3D effect I’d still be willing to give it a shot!

I haven’t mentioned in here yet, but there was a new Trackmania game released July 1st on Uplay, and I’ve really been having a lot of fun with it.

It’s more of the same when it comes to Trackmania, and they are touting this is a remake of Trackmania Nations, but in reality it’s very different, with all new blocks and some new road surfaces.

It’s free to play and has two tiers of paid subscriptions, one for the daily tracks and online play, and a more expensive one that includes custom clubs, car skins, etc.

I’ve been busy building tracks and focusing on the daily tracks, getting the best times I can each day.

Yesterday I made a small montage of the tracks I’ve completed.

1 Like

I’ve been playing this too (free tier)

I’ve also been watching tons of YouTube content about the competitive Trackmania scene.

I’d be interested in your thoughts about my (unreleased) game Daily Driver that features single screen level building and TrackMania “style” car racing shenanigans Playdate - new handheld gaming system, with a crank

Wow, this is news to me, I didn’t know it had been released. Going to check it out later this week, how are the physics compared with the first game? Presumably it’s a pretty faithful reboot in how it controls rather than reinventing the wheel?

Yeah the controls and feel are pretty much identical, with a few minor changes that I think only a seasoned vet would notice.

The game looks cool, are you releasing it with the system?

TBC

They’ve added ice surface, but otherwise it’s online Trackmania with nicer cars and better graphic design.

Gymkhana mode in Touge Max G is worth checking out - while there’s no airborne stunts it’s highly satisfying working out the best way to drift your cars around tight corners, slaloms and the like. The course has a lot of variety too - enough to sustain 15 challenges.

1 Like

I’m hyped by this because it’s the closest I’ve seen to the game I’m making. All you have to do is shrink it to single screen, amp up the speed and smoothness, and finish with a garnish of craziness.

I’m planning to have enough to sustain 365 challenges!

It did remind me of Daily Driver! The single screen perspective should go a long way toward adding new types of challenges - no need to worry about the player camera!

Offroad Mania

realistic car physics off roading game. Great!

Steam (Windows-only)

Play in browser:

This looks great.

2 Likes

Is this a racing multiplayer game where the first person to park on a space at the end of a course? Cool idea.

1 Like

I think so. And it’s simultaneous MMO. So a bit like Fall Guys with cars.

That looks hilarious

I’m now playing the Steam version of this. Really Great.

Likely to be my first finished game of the year.

Extreme Car Driving Simulator
(iOS and Android)

Dubious quality production, but an open world with multiple playgrounds full of stunt opportunities.

Apparently been around since 2015.