Summer Games Done Quick 2018 | Higher Goals than the World Cup

Summer Games Done Quick 2018 is a 7-day event (from June 24th - July 1st) benefiting the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Featuring over 150 events, SGDQ 2018 runs continuously throughout every hour of every day over this coming week, in an effort to raise the most money possible for Doctors Without Borders.
More, a number of bonus events are locked behind donation milestones and different events have various prizes that donators can win as an added incentive.

Every year, Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) provides emergency medical care to millions of people caught in crises in more than 60 countries around the world. MSF provides assistance when catastrophic events—such as armed conflict, epidemics, malnutrition, or natural disasters—overwhelm local health systems. MSF also assists people who face discrimination or neglect from their local health systems or when populations are otherwise excluded from health care.

MSF is a neutral and impartial humanitarian organization that aims first and foremost to provide high-quality medical care to the people who need it the most. It does not promote the agenda of any country, political party, or religious faith, and, as such, endeavors to communicate its history, background, and capabilities to all parties in a given situation so that it may gain the necessary access to populations in need.

The Doctors Without Borders charter can be viewed HERE.

GDQ has partnered with Twitch.tv to stream this whole event.

This schedule is converted to your local time, no having to deal with timezones!

Don’t forget to check out the Prize Index and Bid Index to see incentives and prizes you can win just by donating!

Missed a run? Here you will find the VODs for past runs. You can also find VODs via youtube at Games Done Quick’s Official Youtube page (Now live! Click the banner to be taken to the /r/Speedrun VODs thread.)

Once again we’ll be using Discord to discuss the marathon! Jump on in and be sure to check out the rules before spamming.

Click the SPONSORS banner to view the official list of Merch sponsors including The Yetee and FanGamer!

Thanks to TUSR and NormalFish for putting together the thread. If you have any suggestions, please contact @Fish in the Discord linked above. Enjoy the marathon!

And so begins another couple of weeks of me watching and then catching up on the segments I missed.

Yeeeeeeesssss.

Thanks for the thread!

I plan on going to AGDQ this year for at least a day or two if they keep it in the MD/DC/VA tri-state area.

I love the GDQ series!

It’s always so fucking hard to work up the will to go even though its right near me. Right after the holidays and normally starting immediately after MAGfest ends.

Good thing I enjoy watching the stream.

Friend and I were gonna go last year but we missed the registration. We are determined to go this year.

Honestly I think every game should be a race, unless it’s a new game or new trick showcase. I can watch speed runners on their own streams all year.

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but I’m a wet blanket.

I like some of the races, but I generally prefer the speedruns. Do love me some Mega Man races/rekays though! I’d say those are my fave of the races.

And on the other side, I typically don’t like races. There are a few that I can get into but I prefer just single runs. Relatively glitchless and 100% as well. :3

Guess I don’t and don’t want to watch speed runners on their own streams so I haven’t already gotten my fill of just watching a single person run a game. I say that but every morning when doing my morning stuff I run older runs in the background instead of TV nowadays. Last couple of days I’ve been watching the Lunar Dragon Mario World run from a few years back. Full collection runs are my jam.

Yeah I very very rarely watch runners when they stream but always tune in to GDQ/AGDQ and regularly watch their old uploads on the regular.

Another complaint, if I may:

The donation messages bum me out.

While I understand it’s an incentive to donate, and it provides a certain carthasis for people, I can only handle so much talk about cancer and death.

I have no viable solution to that problem, however. It’s a necessary evil, and I don’t think that should change.

I do applaud them for going with cancer prevention charities and I think Red Cross, as opposed to a few other sketchy charities.

Doctor’s without borders is the Summer one with the Prevent Cancer Foundation being the normal one. I defiantly prefer MSF, and it’s why I donate during SGDQ and not AGDQ. I love me both of these event’s but as I’m sure it’s said every year, I miss the tone and feel of the older ones. With it becoming so large some of the “fun” has dissapeared, as it kinda has to to appeal to a wider audience. It is still enjoyable enough for me to watch litereally every run so I can’t complain too much.

Years ago I tried watching some runners normal streams after enjoying their agdq runs and I just don’t like it as much when they are alone and catering directly to the “streamer” audience.

Read the thread :slight_smile:

Stream’s live now.

What are you referencing? Why don’t you just quote what you want me to read?

This marathon has nothing to do with PCF, as has been the case for years. AGDQs are for PCF, SGDQs are for MSF. Thus, no personal anecdotes about individuals’ struggles with cancer.

In unrelated news, reddit vods thread is live via the “vods” button.

My posts are referencing GDQ, and other charity video game marathons.

The same comment you made was made a day ago, right below mine, right before yours. Is there something you need to add on to that?

Or did you not read the thread?

AGDQ lost a lot of interest to me when they didn’t invite back pinball done quick. it was a highlight for me to play pinball games with my son outside the stream room.

Not sure I will go back this year.

@New002, if you go, make sure you drive a car and bring cash. That way you can buy food from the food trucks, and get around on your own.

Finally had a chance to watch some of SGDQ with my young kids. While the Mario Maker hard levels block was an entertaining time, one of the runners dropped the S bomb ironically five minutes after I talked up how family friendly the stream is, particularly compared to the trash available on YouTube Kids. Oh well, at least my oldest was too interested in the lore behind the giant 8bit boos and fireballs to notice, haha.

I really like the Tomb Raider glitched run. Never seen that runner before. It was super chill.