Super Famicom cartridge display

So I hate storing cartridges where I can’t see the label. Super Famicom is the worst because the sticker doesn’t fold over the top, so you can’t tell what game it is at all. But I’ve found the solution!

The best thing is it’s really simple and cheap to make them as well.
I’m using a kind of non-standard foam board size, but using the guide you should be able adopt it to whatever size you can get your hands on. Apologies to my friends in the US, but this is in metrics :smiley: And it just occurred to me that US carts might be a bit bigger. If they can sit within 13x2.1cm then you’re all good, otherwise get measurin’ :smiley:

Requirements:

1 sheet of foam board - at least 30x45cm, 0.5cm thick
2 sheets of cardboard - at least 30x42cm, ~.6mm thick
Cutting blade
Cutting board
Pencil
Ruler (metal is best)

So it consists of 2 basic parts, the sides and the pockets.

Sides
The sides are made from the foam board. The important thing to get correct is the angle - 65.9º. This is the angle created by the pockets later on.

On a 30x45cm board, you can measure 4.95cm from the left/bottom and right/top, then draw a line between the points and cut in half. Then for both pieces, draw markers from the corner point 1.79cm in, and then several more 2.1cm apart (the thickness of the pocket).
On the angled side itself, draw markers 4.38cm in, then several more 5.15cm apart.
Use the markers to draw 2cm deep lines (seen in red), then cut these slits.
Cut along the line, then it helps cut again on a slight angle, to make the slit more like a wedge shape.

View Bigger

Pockets
There are 8 similar sized pockets and one unique one for the top.
8 pockets are made from 14x14.8 cardboard
1 pocket is made from 14x13.5 cardboard
I recommend doing several on a larger sheet of cardboard
Measure and cut to the shape as shown. Score the board along the dashed lines (scoring refers to using the blunt side of the knife to imprint an aid for folding the cardboard). Flip the paper card over and measure 4cm and 6.1cm in, so you know where your score is on the other side. Then line up your ruler and fold the board to get a sharp fold.

View Bigger

Assembly
Get the 8 pockets and start inserting the tabs into the slits at the bottom. Don’t fully insert the backside of the pocket, you can use it to help slide the next pocket into place. Place the unique pocket at the top and you’re done!

Inserting the last pocket

Ready for carts!

The reverse side might have it’s uses as well…

10 Likes

That would be nice for N64 games also.

Some shows I’ve been going to this year have had a couple of vendors with their N64 games displayed on a 3D printed riser but this seems much cheaper to make.

Yeah, it will work for N64 games but since the carts aren’t as wide they don’t fit as snug unless you change the measurements. But the other thing is, the labels are full height on N64 carts and so with this design you’d cover quite a bit of the label.

I’m not sure what else could be done really. If you just sit them on steps (like the backside of this design), you can’t fit as many in the same height, and there’s nothing really stopping them from tipping forward, so it’d have to lean back as well.

You’ve done a great job making these, show those loose carts some love!

This looks so good @androgyne thank you for putting this guide up!

1 Like

Very well done!

It really does look fantastic.

Very cool display. Practical, but also nice, and a lot better than the typical “All games on their side on a bookshelf” display that is so common in Retro collector set ups (mine sadly included).

This is a great guide. I’ll have to make a variation of this for my Sega Saturn