The official Retro Core / Battle of the Ports thread

In this hardware review we are going to take a look at reasonably priced tablet and see if it is capable of running some of the higher end emulation such as Dreamcast, N64 and even Sega Saturn. How does it cope?

An update to life in Japan. This time my actual commute home. It’s quite different than before the lockdown.

1 Like

What was one originally a Sega Saturn exclusive ended up being released on everything bar the Sega Saturn.

3 Likes

Id never seen the saturn version in action before - runs pretty well and is a great example of VDP1+2 co-operation.

1 Like

Yes, the infamous knock off PS4 controller is back. In this video I’ll answer the questions I’m always asked about this controller, open it up and dress it up.
Does it use real Sony parts?

1 Like

I like that new shell, I’m really tempted to order one.

They’re pretty nice. They have loads more on the site I link to in the video description.

1 Like

Another classic from when EA wasn’t such a bad company.

1 Like

A bit of a self promotion here. Just started a new channel that will be dedicated to Audio and Video related topics. The first video went up featuring the unboxing of my “new” turntable.

4 Likes

I think we have a winner here as long as you are sensible with your expectations.

1 Like

Last week we took a look at the 2D versions of Road Rash while this week we take a look at the 32 Bit versions of Road Rash. There are 4 to look at so what are you waiting for?

1 Like

Life in Japan - Lock-down cooking - Traditional local food at home

2 Likes

I love some good soba!

1 Like

Streets of Rage or Bare Knuckle as I know it, has been in the news a lot recently with the fantastic 4th outing. So what better time is there to do a Battle of the Ports based upon the original game?

2 Likes

That java version is crazy. I had no idea such a thing existed. Great episode @Yakumo

By the way, have you ever considered doing an episode on the original Prince of Persia? It’s on so many systems it would be cool to see someday. And topically relevant considering this thread:

1 Like

Some day I’ll do the Prince of persia.

2 Likes

Just watched your “Streets of Rage - Battle of the Ports” video and I was going WTF Streets of Rage on the SEGA master system is 1 player only?

My brother had it for his SMS2 and I clearly recall I used to go over and play it loads with him.
Could have sworn we played it 2 player co-op…
Maybe we were just taking turns and I’m misremembering those times…

Yep, 1 player only. Maybe you and your brother are thinking Streets of Rage 2?
Even the box states it is a 1 player - https://images.app.goo.gl/FMgJJJz8BDgiTz167

Hi guys and welcome to another hardware review and man, what a stinker we have. It’s actually entertaining at how much potential this device could hold.

1 Like

Hi everyone, it’s that time again for another Retro Core 5 show. This time we are taking another look at the PC Engine.

1 Like