The Ripping Thread - How to build your own legit retro ROM library.

I spent a little more time with the CopyNES and realized that I couldn’t get a handful of Konami games to dump. I got a little bit of help over on the NESdev forums and wanted to post my findings here. I made a shortish video about it.

Long story short you’ll need to do a bit of hex editing to get a handful of the VRC4 mapped games like Crisis Force, Parodius Da!, and Wai Wai World 2 to work.

Still loving the CopyNES. Really glad I went that route. Awesome piece of kit.

2 Likes

Has anyone had any success, or knows where to find the info, for ripping ROMs from XBLA retro games? You don’t need to hack or mod your 360, just transfer the game to USB and extract on a PC.

I’m testing with Golden Axe. The file copied onto my USB is 89A6BC2BD0BE207A0A8344D8C43EB49AB2B0AE5658

I extracted this using wxPirs, and one of the files in the “0CLASSIC” folder was GAXE16.SR. After some research .SR is a sega archive format. Using offzip I was able to extract all the files. I know that Golden Axe is a 512 KiB file, and one of the extracted files was 512 KiB: I’m assuming this is the ROM. The file is 00033804.fnc, but unfortunately the data doesn’t match the actual ROM I’m using to check against (from Steam). Either it’s encrypted, or I’m looking at the wrong file.

1 Like

I would bet it is encrypted. Maybe there is a decrypter for 360 stuff?

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

I got as far as I did on what little information I could find, and a little guesswork. But I’m coming up empty on this .fnc file. I could be looking in the completely wrong place as well…

1 Like

Ok… so… Golden Axe on XBLA might be the Arcade version, which I should have known, so I’ve possibly embarrassed myself here.

1 Like

We live and learn!

New task: Extract Sonic the Hedgehog from XBLA.
Result: Success

Steps:

1. Copy the XBLA game from the Xbox 360 system storage to a USB drive.

2. Insert the USB drive into PC.

3. On the USB drive enter the Content/0000000000000000/58410864/000D0000/ folder and copy the file 2C32E2CA563EA3764AFDD475ED16E3534A5E2AF758 somewhere.

4. Using wxPirs extract the file contents to a new folder somewhere.

5. This newly created/extracted folder should look something like this:

6. Using offzip extract the SONIC.SR file inside the 0CLASSIC folder. Offzip is a command line tool. I created a folder in the Offzip folder called “out”, and copied SONIC.R to the offzip folder.

Opening CMD and changing directory to my offzip, the command looked like this:

offzip.exe -a SONIC.SR out

7. If successful inside the “out” folder should be a file named 00000804.dat, which is the ROM. The Hash data matches Sonic The Hedgehog (USA, Europe).md in the no-intro database. Rename it to Sonic The Hedgehog (USA, Europe).md or whatever you like.

Success! Let me know if I missed anything.

The hash data for this file should read as follows:

Name: 00000804.dat
Size: 524288 bytes (512 KiB)
CRC32: F9394E97
CRC64: C49D7B2C16850AAC
SHA256: 46160BAA06362C711C9F1A5017CB7371026444936C8AF5E93A78996CF32FF2A6
SHA1: 6DDB7DE1E17E7F6CDB88927BD906352030DAA194
BLAKE2sp: FE55B158637F71CF786ACDB2AB06A433DDF45859AFC726015870D61BC152F2EC

Worth trying some other classics on there, or something like Monster World IV, which you could extract and play on an Everdrive on original hardware :wink:

Quick edit: Some of these steps were helped along by this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4uxeo0/how_to_rip_your_xbox_360_and_xbla_games_for_use

3 Likes

Hello all. New to this forum. I’m really sorry if this has been asked, but I dumped ten NES ROMs from the Wii Virtual Console a while back. The ROMs appear to work flawlessly in every emulator I’ve thrown them at (most recently Retroarch with the Mesen core). The issue I’m running into is that they don’t pass a No-Intro audit using clrmamepro of Romcenter. I’m wondering if there’s minor patches to these ROMs that aren’t recognized in the official No-Intro DAT file? Is there a way to “clean” them using a third party tool or is there a separate DAT file for VC ROMs I should be using? Any help would be much appreciated.

No-intro uses headerless NES ROMs for the DB. If you remove the first line in a hex editor (starts with NES) and save this as a new file, check the hash data for that.

EDIT:

Or if you use a program called GameHeader.exe to view the rom, it will give you the headerless hash data. Just bear in mind the hash data it gives you has spaces in it, whereas no-intro doesn’t have those :+1:

So I opened the VC dumps in a hex editor and compared them against a good dump. The only difference between the two is two bytes of data at the beginning of the file and a few strings of data at the end. I’m no expert and have no idea what information is contained at the end of the file. If I delete it to match a good dump, though, it generates a good hit in clrmamepro. What’s weird is some of my VC dumps are tagging as “Wii Virtual Console” when auditing using the no intro dat, but not all of them.

EDIT: So I took a look at the NES No-intro DAT in a text editor and it looks like there are some VC game not included. Not sure why.

Which ones have you got that don’t show up? I own a handful of VC NES ROMs.

They’re recognized as good dumps after deleting the hex data at the end, just not appended with the “Virtual Console” text in the title after clrmamepro renames them. The three I’ve dumped so far are Ghosts’n Goblins, Kirby’s Adventure and Life Force. When I look at the official No-Intro DAT, the VC versions aren’t included. In the case of Life Force, it looks like they have the European version of Salamander listed, but no the USA version of Life Force. I guess the No-Intro DAT is just incomplete when it comes to NES Wii VC titles?

I think the VC version of Kirby’s Adventure is the same as the cartridge. It matches to USA Rev 1 if memory serves.

Edit:

Just checked and the USA Rev 1 lists the Wii VC as one of the dumps.

https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php?page=show_record&s=45&n=1200

So the no intro DAT will only list the VC ROM in the database if the file is somehow fundamentally different to the cartridge ROM. That makes total sense. In fact, I feel kind of stupid now haha. Even if they had entries for every VC version of a game in the DAT file, clrmamepro and romcenter wouldn’t be able to distinguish them from a cartridge dump file because the files are… well… identical.

That’s my assumption, I’ve not used those though. I’m checking all my dumps by hand the old fashioned way :wink:

https://gist.github.com/cxx/6d1d44ce4a6107ed80e0a6c8c5b887c4

This is a script for Atari Vault. It takes (some) of the arcade rom bin files and converts it to something MAME can use. Pong does not have a bin file as the arcade game did not have a “rom”, but something more hardwired.

Also, if you don’t know… the vault DLC contains the Atari 5200 bios.

Disclaimer: script is not mine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hardcore conversion! Nice work.

That’s awesome!! I was wondering if there was a way to get those files working in MAME. Would be so nice if Atari released more of their Arcade ROMs on Steam. This is what emulation fans have been asking for since the late 90s… Finally seeing some companies responding.

1 Like

Seems like some of the Data East arcade games have been made available on PC. Any chance they will work in MAME?

1 Like