The Sunday Night Shmup thread

Been a while since I last played that, but I remember I could only really get anywhere with one of the pilots. I think it was Shin that can upgrade the fastest perhaps? Or possibly the guy who recovers quicker. But even then I had trouble doing levels out of a certain order. Towards the end I think I screwed myself with buying upgrades somehow and was constantly doing those transport stages before giving up! Watching some walkthroughs on Youtube, it’s clearly possible… even on the harder difficulties. But perhaps not for me!

1 Like

Grinding the transport stages can help quite a bit to build up a cash reserve, and yes, Shin upgrades fastest, and Greg is the one who recovers. Mickey supposedly can use more weapons, but I haven’t managed to get far enough with him to see any difference.

1 Like

Koutetsu Yousai Strahl was released yesterday on ACA for Switch and PS4. Surprised Hamster dropped a game early in the week like that. Never heard of it until now, quite a bit of stuff from UPL I’m not familiar with.

1 Like

This week’s Monday Night Shmup is Parodius Da! for PC Engine which is my favorite port of the game. A near perfect comical shooter brimming with lovely sprite work, fun personality and is overall a true gem from the golden age of Konami.

4 Likes

I wish I could say I’m finally playing the Darius Console collection but SLG seemingly chose to ship it with the cheapest shipping option possible and the tracking hasn’t updated in weeks.

1 Like

I got mine today to Finland, shouldn’t take long now.

1 Like

Is anyone getting Space Invaders Invincible Collection? Taito decided to license it to United Games, who have decided to release it under their Strictly Limited brand instead of Inin. I’m still on the fence, while it’d be an interesting history piece to visit many of these games, and Gotch do good work, Galaga 88 is king anyway?

I bought the import version of Space Invaders. After my experience with Darius I am currently of the opinion of never buying anything from SLG again. Their shipping to the US has been terrible.

1 Like

I regret getting Sisters Royale from them, it was scheduled to ship in June yet it’s been delayed twice now, until October.

It’s getting harder to believe these delays when other publishers are meeting deadlines with their Switch releases.

When you have a chance to try it out: Does Space Invaders Invincible Collection have HD Rumble? :slight_smile:

Honestly you’re better off ordering Space Invaders from amazon.jp rather than wait for SLG to ship it to you.

I’ll try to check but between work and the newborn I am not getting much time to get any gaming done. I will second just ordering it from Amazon Japan. They actually ship DHL, rather than SLG saying DHL in their email and then shipping the super crappy Asendia. DHL will have it from Japan to your door in like 3 days tops.

1 Like

I replied in @harborline_765 other thread, I checked my copy and didn’t see any options for HD rumble.

2 Likes

Thanks folks! And good shout, like Darius Cozmic Collection I should just go for the Japanese release. 'Doh!

Don’t sleep on the included download code for Arkanoid vs Space Invaders by the way - one of the best modern Taito games, for my money at least!

2 Likes

Same here. I almost forgot I ordered Sisters Royale. I finally received my Darius Console Collection a month or so ago (I already imported the arcade collection last year). Can’t exactly remember when I ordered it, but that must’ve been almost a year ago. They say they are working on improving the shipment experience, but so far it feels like they are slowing down even more.

2 Likes

I keep seeing people receiving there orders on Twitter. Looks like mine’s still on a boat somewhere. It shipped over 2 weeks ago. Kinda chomping at the bit to get this thing!

4 Likes

Trigon (aka Lightning Fighters) is releasing tomorrow for ACA on Switch and PS4:

3 Likes

That’s a cool release… but… Raiden! When?!

2 Likes

This is honestly the 1st I heard of this one, looks cool.

1 Like

This! Give me my motherfucking Raiden already !!!

1 Like

Trigon looks pretty good, I’ll definitely pick it up.

I’d love to see a Raiden collection of some sort, especially the Raiden Fighters series. Heck, get M2 to put a compilation together and I’d buy it in a second.

1 Like