The Sunday Night Shmup thread

My only beef with the soundtrack is that it’s almost entirely variations on a theme. It’s a good melody, but it would have been nice to have more melodic variety.

My Dangun Feveron box set arrived from LRG:

5 Likes

trying to get an Espgaluda 1cc, there’s that last pattern in Stage 2’s boss that just keeps messing me up argh. lovely game though, I can’t wait to play the second one on the Switch

2 Likes

I can’t figure out that game’s systems. I just don’t jive with the complicated shmups quite as much. (Or maybe I’m thinking of the sequel? Whatever the one that is one Switch - I found it to be very esoteric). There’s like all of these modes and scoring mechanics that hurt my brain.

1 Like

me too, I just play for survival at the momenet and then I’ll worry about the scoring mechanics. though I really like the mechanics in the first one, at least more than the chaining systems in Dodonpachi and the likes which I can never quite wrap my head around

it’s basically just collect a lot of gems by killing enemies while there’s a lot of bullets on screen + you slowed down time. the fact that this is also kind of tied to survival makes this a plus for me. I’m sure it’s become even more complicated in the second game though (which is the one on the Switch)

Part of me wishes that shmups didn’t have just so many scoring mechanics. Just having the score reflect the simple joy of dodging and shooting would be enough for me.

Just curious, what platform are you playing the first game on?

1 Like

PS2, it has an incredible port, for the time at least…with so many features and modes. I hex edited it to 240p as well and it looks superb (it natively does 240p in TATE mode, but I can’t play that)

The Saturn port is total shit though. A really poor conversion of what should have been and could have easily been arcade perfect. Even the intro and ending is a video!
Saying that, I do own it :frowning:

1 Like

Very nice! I’m still waiting on mine to arrive, so I’m hoping I see it yet this weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sega has announced a new TATE Astro City Mini packed with an incredible AAA selection of shmups from Raizing, Toaplan and others such as Batrider, Bakraid, Tatsujin 1&2, Dogyuun, Grindstormer and Batsugun just to name some. Although I already have the original Mini I’m definitely going to have to get this one as well especially with some of these Raizing and Toaplan games getting their first ever home ports, full list:

Zaxxon
Action Fighter
Wrestle War
Desert Breaker
Raiden
Batsugun
Dogyuun

V-V / Grind Stormer
Same! Same! Same! / Fire Shark
Outzone
Tatsujin / Truxton
Tatsujin Oh/ Truxton II
Kingdom Grandprix
Armed Police Batrider
Battle Bakraid

Strikers 1945
Gunbird
Moon Cresta
Sengoku Ace
Cosmo Police Galivan
Sonic Wings

5 Likes

Wow that’s probably the best mini console collection of games I’ve seen

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting for home ports of Batrider and Bakraid since the Dreamcast era, not to mention the Toaplan titles. I wish the arcade exclusive titles here would get proper console releases (and if they do I’ll definitely purchase them as well), but as someone who owns the original Astro Mini, these are overall very high quality table top devices for what they are and work fine for quick play sessions, they’re not cheap novelty toys. I don’t mind this at all to tide me over in the meantime until M2 or somebody finally gives us console versions. Plus you can hook it up to a TV via HDMI and it works with the original game pad accessory which came with the last Astro mini. Problem with that of course though is if they use the last Astro’s options as a template the TV output and scanline options probably won’t be very good (here’s hoping they put more effort in this time for those aspects). But still, apprx $200 for an official release of these titles in a physical format vs spending thousands of dollars on the PCBs or waiting who knows how many years on end for M2 to port them is not too bad of an alternative for now.

3 Likes

This is going to be an essential purchase! I’m hoping I’ll be able to hook up my Mayflash stick to it and have it work, instead of having to play on the unit, or buy one of their expensive branded pads/sticks to make it work. But even so, the amount of arcade conversions this will include makes it a must-buy.

2 Likes

XEXEX is this week’s Arcade Archives release, probably the most exciting shmup ACA title since Raiden. Now I can retire my Salamander collection on PSP. =)

2 Likes

Just placed my pre-order for the Astro City TATE. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Been enjoying XEXEX a lot this weekend. Time to break out the gashapon and celebrate:

The ACA port is also much more faithful to the PCB than the version included in the Salamander PSP collection. Here is a fun little hidden power up trick from the first stage:

3 Likes

Picked up and was having a crack at Thunderforce V on the Saturn on my Sunday. I like it, the weapon overpower thing is pretty interesting and weapons in general have a pretty cool look and feel to them.

7 Likes

I’ve heard from multiple sources that the ACA port of Xexex has a fair amount of input lag. Any word on that from your time with it?

I haven’t had any issues, feels very responsive on my new 4K TV but I’m also not very good at spotting things like input lag unless it’s pretty egregious (hello Mega Man Legacy Collection which had really bad input lag even on my old Plasma).

1 Like

One of the best shmup-related youtubers is doing a kickstarter for a Toaplan documentary he is planning, and it would be awesome if we could throw some support his way.

there is an English promo video just below the Japanese one.

4 Likes