The Sunday Night Shmup thread

This is awesome! I just pitched in for the Kickstarter, my first one in probably 4 or 5 years. I opted for the 12,000 Yen pledger with the Blu-ray, T-shirt and badge.

1 Like

I’ve been playing the Deathsmiles I & II compilation on Switch lately. Pretty cool ports of both games. I never played the second one. It looks kind of awkward and dated. The first one is really nice for a horizontal shmup :wink:

During the holiday I’ve also played the other Cave games on Switch: Progear (I really like the steampunk look here), Dodonpachi Resurrection and Espgaluda II.

6 Likes

I also bought the Deathsmiles collection about a week ago, except for the Series X. I already have both games for the Xbox 360 but wanted to support the release and see the package.

I forgot how much I really dislike the second Deathsmiles. It’s not visually appealing to me at all and the move to 3D models looks pretty bad. Still, I’m happy to have the collection.

Progear on the other hand is fantastic! I love the artwork and sprites. It’s definitely worth picking up the Capcom Arcade Stadium bundle for Progear, 1944 and 19XX. I bought it with a pretty good sale a few months ago.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing a lot of Cotton Rock N Roll and its really good. Minimal lag, lots of fun scoring potential, a good number of characters to play as, and the Japanese copy has full English for menus and story. Highly recommended, its better than the Saturn tribute pack and almost as good as Reboot IMO

6 Likes

This weeks’s Arcade Archives release is Gun Nail:

3 Likes

Been hearing a lot of good things about this game, gonna have to check it out. Was also thinking of getting the Switch ports of Panorama Cotton and Cotton 100% as the Mega Drive and SFC carts are both really expensive now (especially the former).

2 Likes

Cave decides to dissolve and liquidate its consolidated subsidiary Cave Taiwan It becomes difficult to make future profit prospects due to the discontinuation of live distribution application development

I don’t know exactly what this means, but it doesn’t sound good. It makes me sad that it’s been 10 years since their last arcade game.

It looks like they were looking into going the mobile gaming / “live services” route, but decided there was too much competition, so they’re being liquidated. However some support service for business connections with overseas is still being held up.
Sounds a bit like no more games, but if people want to use the license for cave’s stuff, they can still be contacted. Maybe.

At least treasure still exists right?

:confused:

:grimacing:

1 Like

For several years now Treasure has basically just been a clearinghouse for their IPs, looks like Cave is headed in the same direction if not already there.

Yep. It’s a bummer but sort of the natural course of things. I’d rather it be like this than for these types of studios to release bad games that are a shadow of their former glory.

1 Like

The way I see it is at least their games are still being released by companies like Livewire.

1 Like

Cave went there a long time ago, their last non mobile developed game was roughly two years before Treasure’s last.

Elixir on Twitter: ““Cave’s development completely corresponds to online/social games, consumer game section has been abolished” http://t.co/gc0CECf1kb -LIX” / Twitter

1 Like

This is incredibly sad. Yes, we’re still getting stuff through Livewire, but the fact that they aren’t putting out new stuff is a huge bummer. Nor will they, by the sounds of it.

Tonight’s shmup is Parodius Da.

One of my favorite hori shmups, Parodius Da released in 1990, a few years after my favorite game in the series Gradius II.

Even though Parodius is a jokey parody series, Da manages to still be a moderately hardcore shmup with an adaptive difficulty rivaling another one of my favorites, Darius Gaiden.

Get too many option power ups or force fields, watch the difficulty go through the roof as early as the second stage. And I love that. It makes this one highly replayable, along with the multiple loops available upon clearing the game.

I enjoy all the Parodius games for different reasons, but Parodius Da is one of my favorites simply for the challenge, its one I come back to often.

Also this is something you don’t see in a lot of modern games. Irem would be proud.

3 Likes

Today’s Sunday Night Shmup is…Parodius?! :thinking: Can’t imagine why. :grin: Playing a bit of the PC Engine version while testing out my new Framemeister’s scanline and color settings.

One of my favorite PC Engine cases:

5 Likes

Switched gears and am now playing some Galactic Attack/Layer Section on Saturn because why not? Lock on scoring system is as addictive as ever:

6 Likes

Awesome game. I’d play it a lot more if I had room to keep my 2nd CRT plugged in TATE at all times.

6 Likes