The Super Nintendo |OT| Thread - SNES is what SEGAIN'T

Anyone know of any transparent PAL/JP aftermarket shells? I can only find the US size ones.

Is there any issue with Tengai Makyou Zero(?) patched playing on real hardware? I wanted to get my cart patched by ocd repro, but they stated they couldnt make it work on actual hardware?

Yes there are some issues. For the translation rom sizes were increased so it is not straightforward to make a translated cart. One of the developers made one to test on real hardware but didnt share any details, and the few scene people I’ve seen working on it are detailing extremely complicated mods to make it happen. All of this is compounded by the special chip in the cart of course.

I actually read one person say it would be the hardest SNES translation to get working on real hardware.

I’ve kinda given up and decided to just play it through my Wii sometime soon.

Aw wow, i would’ve thought Star Ocean would be harder.

Due to the expanded rom Star Ocean is fairly straightforward. There are even repro boards with an extra slot to add in rom chips for Star Ocean repros. You dont even need the SDD-1.

Are there any other games I should look to Korea for or is this an outlier?

Just saw your list. Nm

Snes pickups for the week!

Super turrican is complete in box as is wizardry v. Turrican is a run n gun and is really fun to play as you can tell by the electrocuted head under the fun factor category of the game pro review on the cover of the box (turrican put reviews on its cover before Batman Arkham city popularized it).

Wizardry v is a computer role playing game and one of my favorite genres to play. I’m curious to see how it plays on a console.

Batman forever is a fighter/beat em up. I need to figure out how the controls work before I can truly say it’s a piece of crap.

Snes games this week - Necessary Evil

With my goal to collect a complete US retail set is snes games comes the necessary evil of picking up games I would not normally get. Sometimes I benefit with games like super solitaire or on the ball and sometimes I don’t.

Judge Dredd is an action platformer based off the movie of the same name from the mid nineties. Weird camera movement, frustrating enemy ai, and boring all around gameplay makes me glad it was a cheaper pick up.

Final fight 2 is a beat em up. I got about halfway through the game before I got bored. The game is ok. I used the eBay 20% off coupon on this game. I think I enjoy these type of games better in co-op. If I’m going to play a beat em up I need something else to hold my interest while playing if I’m going solo. I prefer when the games have rpg mechanics incorporated into the gameplay like guardian heroes.

Mario paint is an art game and it’s fine. It has a music maker that people infinitely more talented than I can make use of. I already have the mouse for the game for other games like might and magic iii. This was $5 pickup shipped from eBay.

So maybe the games weren’t as dramatically bad as the opening paragraph would imply, but this is probably the first snes haul in a while that I’m not super excited or overly curious about any of the games I picked up. Oh well, part of the fun of going for a complete collection is making blind purchases of games you would not normally get. It brings me back to a time in which I was not as informed about games and made blind purchases all the time.

How far have you gotten so far?

I’m at about 130 games, so I have a long way to go. After I completed my working designs collection last year I wanted a long term goal. The snes is my favorite system so I thought this would be fun.

Some cool SNES related news today.

First up, the ALTTP randomizer has received some big updates. I always welcome new ways to play one of the GOATS!

Also it turns out Byuu had a hand in Stephen Hawking’s voice thanks to his Higan emulator.

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/975587063432171520

1 Like

Mario Paint has one of the all-time BEST mini games: FLY SWATTER. Seriously, I played that so much as a kid. I was amazed when a sound effect from it made it’s way into Super Mario Odyssey last year.

1 Like

Awesome I’ll have to try it out.

Fly swattet is fun, but I wish it were more fleshed out. It could’ve been it’s own thing.

Details on the Odyssey Easter egg?

The sound effect when you die is partially lifted from the Fly Swatter game in Mario Paint. At least it is in my ears (and a quick google makes me think I’m not alone).

Snes games this week - Amazon a surprise source

Tecmo Super Bowl II I got from eBay with their 15% off coupon. Mechanically it feels just like the first snes game. The graphics received an overhaul and the camera angle has shifted slightly. It looks fine, but I prefer the 1st games look more (probably because I’m used to that version).

I remember reading a Nintendo power challenge for tecmo super bowl to go a complete seasons with out giving up a single point. I tried for the longest time when I was younger to do that but I never could. I did, however, rush for 1000 yards in one game once with Thurman Thomas. I set the quarters to 15 min and when on defense I did the move where you take the nose tackle and dive across the line and sack the qb on every play. I remember bragging to my friends at youth football doing that.

Super Empire Strikes Back I got off of Amazon. It was a dollar more than cart only version of the game. It looks brand new. It came with the manual and poster for other games. The poster was never unfolded until I did it.

I think the game stinks. The graphics are great looking. The slowdown is terrible. Too many things on the screen at once and there were times I was losing health without realising it because the hit animation wasn’t obvious to me. Oh well at least it was a cheap not fun game unlike Bronkie the asthmatic asshole dinosaur. Feh.

Is Musya pretty good? I remember renting it a few times but thats about it. Also Xardion, but i only remember it having sorta cool box art.

No. Musya is not that great of game.

http://www.honestgamers.com/12076/snes/musya-the-classic-japanese-tale-of-horror/review.html

Gotta disagree with your assessment of Super Empire… I played that game so much when I was a kid. Sure, the controls could get a little floaty, and the game was tough as nails, but as a huge Star Wars fan, I loved it. The levels were so varied, with cool Mode 7 vehicle levels, other playable characters, and unlike its predecessor a PASSWORD SYSTEM. Finally getting past that level you were stuck on and getting a new password was like Christmas to little me.

1 Like