What are you playing? (Modern Gaming Edition)

Been playing Astral Chain. I’m warming to it now that more combat options have been introduced.

It does feel a bit flabby for its own good at times, with the first couple of hours feeling more restricted and, well, dull, than I expected, but file 3 was gold.

One thing that does strike me as odd is the ranking system. I thought I performed like utter rubbish in one of the boss fights, having dodged barely any attacks and having used a dozen healing items. But I got an S+! Not quite sure how that works, it seems the game weights your score more on the variety of your attacks rather than your technical ability.

I’m working on Shadow Warrior (2013) on PC. I previously played it a couple years ago, but only for a couple hours.

I’m having much more fun this time around, and hope to play through it and the sequel.

MochiAGirl

Finished this one yesterday evening. I had a lot of fun with it but it could have been so much more. It’s a fast paced platformer with hook-and-swing mechanics at its centre (think Bionic Commando/Ninja Cop/Umihara Kawase).

I just wish it developed its ideas, which focus on level furniture, more before throwing them away. The three secrets in every level in particular didn’t really feel like secrets, either being placed so that you have no choice but to find them, or being easy to get to anyway.

The game shines when you’re legging(swinging?) it through its levels, and in its final unlockable world, which does up the ante difficulty-wise. You also unlock time attack mode but much of it was too forgiving - I only felt a sense of urgency in the last quarter of the game’s levels.

But it’s a lot of fun, and it’s very original. If you value originality or uniqueness you should definitely pick this one up, moreso considering how derivative many platformers can be today.

Groove Coaster: Waiwai Party

An almost-flawless arcade port slightly dampened by locking songs behind a grindy ‘missions’ system. Rhythm games are appealing enough without the need for dull task-completion, but there’s enough songs (Roki! Bubble Bobble remix! Darius! Kemono Friends!) off the bat to offset disappointment. Works great in Tate mode too!

Bubble Bobble 4
Might have posted about this one in the retro version of this thread considering its routes but it’s really good. True to the original it seems much more manageable in co-op. I still can’t clear the third ‘Hard’ world! Fantastic Zuntata soundtrack as well: https://youtu.be/GnY1rL14hvc?t=200

WRC 8
This is good but I’m surprised at the graphical compromise on Switch, in some courses it looks significantly worse than V-Rally 4 did with flat lighting. I hope Kylotonn do a good job with TT Isle of Man 2 which is one of my most anticipated games of next year.

Saga Scarlet Grace
I’m still playing this but not obsessively. The combat is superb but the map events and general progression, at least on Urpina’s quest, lend the game a large feeling of repetition. It feels like only 20-30% of events on the world map lead to anywhere interesting, otherwise it’s usually a bit of dialogue, a fight and items gained. It does add to the world building but much of it is forgotten and the rate at which you traverse each continent makes combing each area feel a tad contrived.

Mary Skelter 2
Dropped this because the dungeon design and combat wasn’t evolving much after the first four-five labyrinths. It’s still one of the best games to come out of Compile Heart (and Zerodiv who seem to work on dozens of dungeon crawlers)

I currently have been playing nothing but Sayonara Wild Hearts and I’m madly in love with it. I think it’s a shame the game has been under the radar even for a lot of people.

The game can be easily completed in an hour or so and it’s best thought of as an experience or playing a pop album rather than a full-fledged traditional game. However, for those who wish to play it like a traditional game, it offers a ton of replayability and challenges which either change the way you play the game or make you strive for absolute perfection. As someone who loved the on-rails arcade games of yore, it’s an absolute delight. I’m over 18 hours in and still haven’t done everything I could.

This is a game I can recommend everyone to play, even if I know it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. But for those who like its arcade-like inspirations, it’s fantastic. I can’t believe this game hasn’t set the world on fire like it should.

2 Likes

I just finished Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle on Switch. Hardcore tactical strategy fans will find it too easy but it is a charming and funny take on the genre. I liked it more than I thought I would.

Me too, the game was very clever at making sure you knew all your units and weapons’ strengths and weaknesses. Great map design too, there were some particularly testing levels in the second half - at least with the characters I was most fond of using. I thought some characters, like Yoshi, made certain levels easier.

I’m surprised as well considering the game’s quality. It seems to have gotten a following amongst Apple Arcade subscribers at least, and developer Simogo were one of the best iPhone/iPad devs before the App Store market became unsustainable for them.

I did play it enough to unlock the Gold Album Arcade, it is a very solid arcade style game, even if I was a bit disappointed by how derivative it was compared with some of Simogo’s previous work.

Yeah – the game pours so much quality and care in every facet of it I’m puzzled how the industry didn’t go absolutely bonkers. I believe part of it lies in the fact some of its themes somehow lie so far away from industry standards it was almost like the game’s public and intended audience didn’t overlap.

I’ve always heard some people say this about Simogo’s games, which makes me even more interesting in checking out their backlog. It’s a shame I don’t own nor intend to own any Apple device, as a lot of their content seems stuck there. Thankfully I do have Year Walk on Steam and I happen to have a Wii U as well, so I’m sure to give it a shot sooner or later.

My recent modern game completions are:

Potatoman Seeks The Troof
Polyball - review here: https://raskulous.com/2019/12/polyball/
Shadow Warrior
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Borderlands 3
Outer Worlds
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

Hellblade is an incredible experience. I’m still thinking about it 4-5 days later.

Never heard of this one. Sounds like I need to give it a try.

Edit: I just watched the trailer - holy crap. Looks insane.

Edit2: the game doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page. That’s really bizarre.

Do you recommend the PS4 version over Switch?

For what it’s worth, the game ran like a dream at native resolution (2048 x 1536) on a five year old iPad Air 2 so it’s probably good on anything! The Apple Arcade Mac release even supports old laptops from 6-7 years ago! Stellar example of good programming on Unity engine.

That’s incredible. Such a beautiful looking game too.

I enjoyed my play through of Sayonara Wild Hearts on the Apple Arcade Trial. It won the 2019 GOTY award on Apple Arcade.

It’s curious, because it was first shown in a Nintendo Direct and then Apple must have coughed up some money to have it as a timed exclusive? After the Apple Arcade reveal it didn’t get much (any?) promotion from Nintendo.

“selling your soul” I hope it was worth it for Simogo.

‪In other news I just got to the credits in Super Mario Odyssey! I’m sure there’s more - that’s for another day. #finally #slowgoing

Wipeout Omega Collection continues to frustrate me. Can’t get over the hump in the last set of courses in 2048, and I haven’t touched the other campaigns yet. Hitting the walls and missing speed pads has been my approach.

Super Mario 3D World has been a treat. I’m on the last world now. Mario is such a refreshing game to play after playing mostly PS4. Justifies my late purchase of the Wii U. I also have Smash and DKTF but I haven’t even touched them yet.

I’m soooooo lazy about switching discs. Plus I’m always watching a blu-ray on the PS4 and that usually deters me from popping a game in.

1 Like

Superliminal on PC.

Kind of Portal meets Looksley’s Line Up.

You’ve started with the most brutal one. WipEout HD & Fury are much easier. To get your bearings more with 2048 though; I can recommend the outside view. While with the HD&Fury games the internal one is the best imo.

2048 never really sat well with me.

Anyone else get their Playstation 2019 wrap up?

Yea… it’s not that impressive

I’m not the biggest fan of that library :man_shrugging:t2:

Rocket League is still amazing on it though.

Edit: also something is weird with the stats. I played 50 hours of Rocket League which is by far the highest of any of the 8 games I played and it says the following:

That has to be including time I left the system in sleep mode or something? :thinking:

I’ve been sticking mostly to classic systems and Nintendo platforms lately. See below:

Looks like overall I clock in an average of just over 30 minutes a day of modern gaming. If we include retro I bet it’s still probably under an hour or so. It feels like more.

Yeah… especially on Rocket League. Definitely I want to play it more. I’m getting slightly better each year.

Been on the new Xbox One X and finding it hard to stop playing more Natsuki Chronicle and Ninja Gaiden Black. Dirt Rally 2 is also very good but the course design doesn’t feel as inspired as WRC 8’s so far.

Also set up my 360 to start playing Ginga Force. I have played a lot already…

1 Like