What are you playing these days?

Some Duck Hunt with my daughters on my giant new 310.

3 Likes

just started assassins creed origins, definitely a different feel from the previous games. not sure if i’m a fan quite yet

NBA Live 19 from the recent PSN sale ($4!). First time I’ve really messed around with a modern basketball game and it’s taking a bit of getting used to. I’m playing a point guard for The One, the game’s main career mode. I’m not too sure how to run plays or effectively get guys open, but at least I can make layups okay. The UI is a clunky mess.

Just beat Trails in the Sky SC. I was missing a good, meaty JRPG and it’s been a while since I beat the first one. The game is good, but I can’t see why people put Trails as one of the best. The game is really formulaic, and the second chapter is more of the same of the first one, for good and bad.

With the new Samurai Shodown game coming in June 2019 I will replay Samurai Shodown 1-4 on Level 8!

Been playing Megaman 11. Surprised at how much I’m disliking it. The level design isn’t doing it for me, and the music has been forgetful. Really disappointed in it.

I wasn’t digging the demo for some reason even though I was excited for it. I never ended up buying it.

I just started playing Picross 3D the other day. It’s a little easy so far but I dig the concept. Pics are from a DSi XL.

HAL Labs came up with some addictive gameplay for this game (as usual).

I’ve been playing Picross 3D Round 2 on and off for over a year now. Great palette cleanser when I get tired of other games, which happens often.

Ever Oasis.

ITS DONE!! ITS FINALLY DONE!!!

This game was way, way, way too long. The town building was just ok and the story really didn’t do much at all. The combat was so so but I really dug the art and music. Overall, I think I would give it a C+

It took me over 40 hours to beat. It was not worth that much of an investment. What the hell Howlongtobeatdotcom?!

I really was making an effort to stop doing side quests. The quests were of one or two varieties. Go to a zone, kill a thing return to camp and give it to your town’s person (or go to a zone, don’t kill a thing and pick up a thing and give it to your town’s person).

Anyway, that burned me out for modern/portable games for a bit. I think I will spend a few nights watching netflix and reading up on settings for my SG.

2 Likes

I’ve been digging into SNK 40th Anniversary Collection and loving it so far. I really like how they added dual stick controls to some of the games like Ikari Warriors and Guerrilla War, it modernizes the controls somewhat. I also found you can set the control to single stick, so I can play arcade Ikari with my arcade stick and have it control like the NES one.

Speaking of NES, I’m pretty sure they smoothed out the performance on this collection. I could have sworn the NES Ikari was plagued with sprite flicker, and I haven’t noticed it here.

Museum mode is really cool too, lots of interesting and obscure trivia in there. I’ve been going through those on my lunch breaks.

Overall I’m really happy with the collection and would recommend it. Plus, I now have a portable version of Time Soldiers that actually plays well, so I’m very happy with that.

1 Like

I recently listened to the Retronauts podcast covering the 40th anniversary release. I’ve never been too exposed to SNK (Iron Tank? lol) but I found it entertaining. You can find the podcast on iTunes, etc

1 Like

Mole Mania. I never really gave it a proper chance when I first tried it a seven years ago on 3DS Virtual Console. It’s a great puzzler. The level design forces you to navigate and think about underground and overground perspectives, and where you leave dig holes. But the way each room is designed rarely overwhelms, I’ve had a lot of fun thinking and acting out solutions.

The Game Boy Pocket display continues to be excellent in most lighting conditions as well!

I have fond memories of playing a few puzzles a day before bedtime back when it released. Have you played the 3DS followup? I adore the chilled café aesthetic.

I’ve been playing the Final Fantasy Legend series for the original Gameboy, the Wipeout series for the PSX and various entries in the Shin Megami Tensei series across a wide variety of consoles, both portable and not. I also have been getting a lot of use out’ve my Switch with the Sega Genesis Collection, Pokemon Let’s Go Eevee and Final Fantasy 9.

Felt like playing some Typing of the Dead again. Still haven’t cleared it on the default allocation of 5 continues! But it’s good enough.

typing%20rank

(Also this is still cheekily amusing)

sega%20fan

3 Likes

That reminded me of an ad I saw back in the PS1 days. It was for Dead or Alive, and it had a bunch of words that made up the background on what I believe was a two page spread.

If you looked closely, there was a small spot that said “Tekken Sucks.”

I’ve never been able to find that ad again. I believe it was in PSM magazine.

I always enjoyed companies getting directly involved with their competition

Yoshi’s Crafted World (S) - Nintendo by the numbers but I still had a lot of fun playing thorough the game. I finished the game in two days.

Sekiro (X1) - My favorite game for 2019 so far. I love the flow of combat and the difficulty keeps me coming back for more.

Valis (Famicom) - This game is frustrating and difficult to navigate.

Einhander (PS1) - Seeing how far I can get on one credit.

Is Crafted World as good as Wooly World?

Anecdotal but I played some Crafted World on a friend’s Switch. Specifically the penultimate level of the game. I thought 2-1 on Yoshi’s Island had more going for it!

The shy-guys stand around doing nothing, that level in particular made little use of the “into the screen” mechanic, and a section where you dodge and jump on closing horizontal bars was less creative than the Tetris-concrete blocks in the aforementioned early Yoshi’s Island game. Surprised by how dull it was to be honest.

Bummer. You can’t hudge based on one level, but that doesn’t sound promising.