What are your Retro Resolutions for 2019?

I sense a theme here, and I agree with those of you who said buy less, play more of what you have. That’s my main resolution for 2019, along with playing more games with my 2 young boys.

1 Like

I guess for retro related goals I want to quit playing competative fighting games online. It’s a vicious loop of anger and a collosal waste of my limited gaming time. I enjoy having a pick up and play game to play before I workout and I want to stop with the online games and focus on arcade games instead.

I want to stop obssessing over A/V quality, framerate, etc, and just play the fucking games. I spend more time researching and testing then I do playing any games. Is “zombies ate my neighbors” better on SNES or MD? Who cares just play the fucking thing and enjoy it like we did when we were kids!

2 Likes

This was me yesterday! I felt like checking out CastleVania III, so picked up my Japanese 3DS, did a search on the eShop and…no castlevania III. Looks like it only ever got released on Wii and Wii U in Japan, post-Famicom.

I could get the NES version for half price (something like $2) with My Nintendo rewards but I kept researching the differences, and the soundtrack, and decided not to. Could have played a good chunk of the game in that time!

Haha I guess I’ll go back on everything I just said because CV3 is totally worth playing with the expansion audio. There’s a ROM hack that gives you the Japanese version of the game with English text that you should totally check out!

Woah cheers! I’m not in any rush to play it so maybe I’ll forego portability for that then. I guess if we’re patient enough both versions will be added to NESflix and the Famicom equivalent.

Yeah, Play more, buy less is mine as well.

No light gun required, but you should try this :fire:

I can relate to that. Sometimes online fighting games can get stressful.

1. Get a c-sync cable and a multi-tap for my PC Engine Duo.

2. Get a new multi-region BIOS eprom for my Mega CD because mine went bad somehow.

3. Enjoy the hell out of my Dreamcast, Master System and Super Scaler books when they arrive.

4. Do another replay of all 3 Shining Force 3 scenarios.

5. Fix my OSSC screen backlight.

6. Install new oscillators for my PAL consoles.

7. Buy only one game a month instead of buying a bunch and rationalising it because “I save on postage!”.

Find time to play games.

1 Like

Cool! I’ll check it out. I need more smartphone games.

Edit: downloading now. Is this a port of an old game or something new? It reminds me a lot of a game at my local barcade in Chelsea.

No, it’s a new game made in the old style. Find it via the developer on twitter.

Finish my Namco small-box Famicom collection. I only have 1 game left! Dig Dug. Not that expensive but it seems somewhat rare for a decent CIB copy to show up on ebay for a reasonable price.

And since I’m almost at 200 NES/FC games, get to 200.

Other than that, yeah I agree with buying less and playing more.

I’m actually going to try to play less, or at least be more focused, to free up time to work on some creative projects related to retro gaming.

Ha! There’s a clear pattern here.

Looking over the one at reset and the same pattern is very clear there as well. Buy less and finish more games we already own. Has the industry hit a saturation point ?

Maybe buy a PVM. Will just start there for now. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sure this is being said at the beginning of every year.

What are you talking about, my resolution last year was to spend with reckless abandon. :money_mouth_face:

I literally just fulfilled my major resolution for 2019 for Retro. I just ordered a Genesis Component cable from Castlemania Games along with a Neo Geo conversion cable. I will now have component output for my Sega CDX and Neo Geo to use with the RetroTINK 2x.

https://castlemaniagames.com/shop?olsPage=t%2Fhd-retrovision

Bam!

2 Likes