What are your thoughts on the Classic Console approach?

Honestly, it’s cool as a piece of history and I loved SF1 and 64, but SF2 just isn’t really as good as those games.

Each encounter felt too formulaic from what I played. In comparison, every level of the original Starfox felt distinct.

Also, this may just be a personal thing, but really hated the way my HDTV upscaled the SNES classic from 720p to 1080p, with lag. So when you couple lag with a very low framerate game, you get a very poor experience. Everything felt even more sluggish than it needed to be.

There is a distinct lack of appreciation for the era and while there are certainly some notable stinkers there was also a ton of experimentation being done, a lot being made that you just don’t see these days.

Take Tomb Raider. The controls are difficult, a lot of people would just write it off today, but the controls demand you to master them and to be careful with how you play. Games don’t play like that any more and the game remains really satisfying to play today, it’s very, very different from the modern Tomb Raider trilogy, a lot less serious in a good way too.

Another thing is that people tend to ignore all low-poly games assuming they all run a sub-20 fps with crazy controls and a lack of direction. But there are some really creative games like Looney Tunes Sheep Raider that are a really fun take on the puzzle platformer genre.

2 Likes

I think Nintendo went this route because 240p-ish scales nicer to 720p than 1080p, and most televisions can handle the scaling of 720p to 1080p decently on their own.

I see. Well, I still feel like I have to own and play it somehow now that it is finally released. But sucks to hear it aint as good as those two. On the other hand, i really enjoyed quite a few levels of Assault as well, so will probably like this.

I very much agree with this. Games like Tomb Raider and the original Resident Evil-games (and even MGS) took a lot of skill to play and master, which was great. Nowadays most games in these genres can be cathegorized as “press A for Awesome”-games, meaning there is nothing to master really, its all about spending the time if you want to see the ending. So yeah, I think the lack of appreciation for these games has to do with them actually requiring the players to learn the games.

1 Like

This right here, is the truth. Well said. The era gets a bad rep that is undeserved.

2 Likes

PS1 Might have very well been the king system for gameplay innovations, so many hidden gems that there’s been nothing like since. Love the shout out to Sheep Raider! I’ve been playing through both Tomba! and Tomba! 2 and thinking about how I would readily eat up another game that had that sort of unique platforming w/ RPG style questing hodgepodge.

Maybe I’m a old git but couldn’t care less about them because I own all the original systems with loads of games or flash carts. I see the appel in these systems but to me they’re nothing more than a cheap restricted emulation box that looks cool.

1 Like

I’ve been playing Dreamcast, playing games from SD card. Ripping, converting, compressing games and they’re really no bigger than PS1 games - often they are smaller.

250MB for Le Mans 24 Hours
16MB for a decent Handfuda Game

And they look amazing over VGA on my 640X480 LCD TV.

Dreamcast Classic with HDMI and after loading times would be so good.

But again the controllers would probably make it too expensive. And four ports would mean it wouldn’t downscale quite as nicely?

How are you playing Dreamcast games on an SD card?

Playing

• Modified SD card adapter that plugs into the DC serial port (eBay, AliExpress: “DC SD reader”) £10/$15
  • Dreamshell & ISO Loader homebrew software (free, included with the above)
  • Memory card

Ripping

• make_iso package from dcswat
  • 32-bit Windows VM to run the tools
  • compatibility list
  • image formats are ISO/CSO/CDI/GDI
1 Like

Getting ahead of yourself since the biggest problem with that isn’t the game size or controllers, it’s getting Sega to give enough of a damn to even put out a decent Genesis/Master System “classic”. Or do you really want to see what some farmed out manufacturer does to a Dreamcast emulation box?

You seem to have missed the news that Sega Japan are making their own Mega Drive Classic, most likely with the help of M2.

Yes, I did miss that news. Do you happen to have a link? Only thing I’ve heard of recently is the “Mega Drive Classics”, which is the name of something they have been doing for years, a pack of their games running on modern hardware, not a self made classic console.

Sure thing:

3 Likes

Awesome. Do us right this time Sega.

Wow, that’s good news. Hopefully it’s M2. It just seems monumentally stupid to not use their existing relationship (and work that’s already done or will happen soon) to make a better product and cash in.

It’s easy to see it in two ways, I guess. When handled well, I can’t deny the appeal of revisiting old favourites in a convenient manner, and it’s great that people who grew up after the machines can uncover some all time greats.

But really, the NES classic was always made as a marketing strategy for Nintendo, in a similar vein to their mobile output. And that’s likely the main reason it was never sold in volume in the first place. The units have thin profit margins - great for customers - but at the same time they are used to get the brand out there. And their limited and non-expandable libraries of games - bad for customers - are there to ensure that users ‘graduate’ to more profitable platforms like the Switch, 3DS, PS4 and so on.

Personally, I’d rather see Nintendo tackle virtual console with the same resources as they did a decade ago on Wii (at GDC 2006 Iwata envisioned it as the iTunes for games consoles). It’s a real shame that the contracts negotiated for VC games seemed to stipulate that they were to be released on one operating system only.

Same goes for Sony and the PS Classic - I’m still astounded that the company is happy to leave behind the hundreds of PS1 classics (um, well, hundreds on the Japanese store) and PS2 classics. It is hard to say whether PS1 classic success will translate to a reinvigorated strategy for putting more of their heritage out there to access.

The games industry, IMO, is deathly afraid of Nintendo’s back catalog and for some, their own role in creating and promoting it, because they think it will prevent them from selling more new games and more significantly, DLC and services that will rope you into paying yearly or even monthly.

That’s partially why I think Nintendo finally jumped on the paid online bandwagon with NES as a catalyst for inducing subscriptions. It is guaranteed money where a Virtual Console as they did it before had sales largely driven only by quality.

1 Like

From a collectors standpoint, I like the Classic/Mini consoles. Besides games which I play, I’m not much of a shelf display person. No figurines or sealed boxes/games etc; but since the NES Classic, these are about the first items I want to display and not really play with. As most here, I’d rather play on original hardware or proper FPGA implementation.

I played the Snes classic for the first time this weekend, and it seems like there is some lags to the controls? Is this a widely reported issue, or could it be because of the tv i used?