What is your audio setup?

We are so focused on the displays in this forum, but I also want to hear about how you listen to the games you’re playing.

Are you rocking a vintage tube amp with stereo speakers for an authentic old school experience? Using the CRT’s built in speaker? Or decking out with a full Dolby atoms setup with dual subs and angry neighbors?

Whatever it is, I’d love to discuss audio setups in here.

Right now I’m using a Denon AVR-591 to power a pair of Infinity Primus 163b’s in a simple 2.0 setup. It’s not adequate for my needs at all, but it’s all I can seem to get away with in my apartment building.

Ehh who am I kidding? I totally plan to upgrade it in the next year or two (which is partially why I made this thread).

So let’s discuss sounds and the things that make them.

1 Like

My audio setup for PC and consoles:

Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

Front Speakers: Fluance SX6

Center Speaker: Dayton Audio CCS-33B

Surround Sound Speakers: Polk Audio TSi100

Receiver: Denon AVR-1508

Subwoofer is coming later though, and maybe rear speakers since I can do 7.1 as well.

1 Like

For the PC I’ve got an old pair of Harman Kardon soundsticks with sub.

For the PVM I’ve got Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

For the OLED I’m running a 5.1 system wth 5x Super Zero 2.1 mini bookshelf speakers, a Denon AVR-S710W receiver, and an Outlaw X12 sub. This will soon be a 5.1.2 setup once my NHT Atmos Mini add-on speakers arrive.

1 Like

I have 2 Vizio sound-bars that I use for my retro and modern setup. Picked them both up new for $79 a while back. My wife gives a bunch of crap if the sound is to loud, so I didn’t want to spend a ton of money :man_facepalming:t3:

You have a Denon AVR-S710W? Awesome!

Hells yea. Living the dream

I dig it! Would love to do 5.1.4 but that would require like a $900-$1000 receiver. Don’t want to go down that path right now so sticking with 5.1.2.

Any thoughts on grabbing a second sub?

Haha come over man!

I had to drop my single sub to 30% when calibrating with Audyssey so as to bring it closer to a reasonable level. I think I’ll stick with the 1 @_@. Plus I just moved here and I don’t want to piss off all the neighbors right away :smiley:

Guys, I went surround sound…I can’t go back to stereo only unless the game, movie, tv show doesn’t support it!

1 Like

I may take you up on that!

It’s not for volume… 2 subs just gives you more overhead and allows you to avoid any null spots in the room that can prevent certain frequencies from sounding as clear as others. Not every room needs it though.

This is true. I don’t have a sound level meter and didn’t bother doing a sub crawl. My sub basically has to go where it is and I lack room for a second, so the decision has kind of been made for me @_@.

I can’t imagine my basement is the most aucostically sound environment, but I’m happy with where it’s at at least, though I’m sure it could be cleaned up, though it wouldn’t be cheap.

As my setup pics inadequately show, for my retro setup I have a 90s era JVC stereo receiver powering two 80s era Fishers with 12" bass drivers (not the older, audiophile-grade Fishers, sadly). I love it and use similar vintage-style setups for all my needs, if I haven’t got big 10"+ woofer floorstanders I don’t feel right.

When I play modern games on PC though, I listen in with AT M50s and a Schitt Stack, which makes for an awesome experience that makes it feel like full surround sound. A proper stereo image can be really 3D if it’s dialed in, and headphones are much easier for that.

Yea I demoed a 2.1 setup that blew away any surround sound I’ve ever heard.

It was Totem Sky speakers with a Kin sub in a really nice demo room in the East Village. It was hooked up to a nice McIntosh amp. I was like

It’s incredible what bookshelf speakers are capable of these days. Just mindblowing stuff. Jazz albums I’ve heard for years and years sounded absolutely live to me.

I have a Harman/Kardon AVR 145, a pair of Yamaha NS-10M studio monitors, and a 10" HK Sub.

All for free, hand-me-downs are great.

1 Like

When your sidetable is a sub:

(Old apartment)

Since my gaming set up is also our living room it needs to support retro gaming, modern gaming, tv watching, and movie watching. So I rock a 5.1 set up. The heart of it is a Yamaha RX-V375, I’m considering upgrading soon. This one does 4K pass through but not HDR, I want a Denon that has dual HDMI outs.

Anyway, this powers Athena Point 5 MKII speakers. These are bookshelf speakers for LR Center and Surround. I got them back in like 2005/6 and they’re great. I connect the speakers up with 14AWG Speaker Wire from Monoprice.com. I haven’t had particularly large rooms to fill so these just work great. For a subwoofer I have an older Yamaha umm 8 or 10 inch powered sub. I’ve had this since like 2004ish but it works great. If I turn it even to half way up, and then cut down a tree in Breath of the Wild our neighbor thinks lighting is striking right outside our house.

One of my biggest regrets is that I don’t have a better sound setup for my main TV. It’s not even a “I don’t know the difference” kind of thing, I have and love great headphones for my computer/music and bookshelf speakers for my crt setup. It’s just that there are so many options and choices and things to consider for my main TV that all I’m using is a soundbar that matches it, since I get the choice paralysis every time I try looking into getting a proper receiver/speaker setup.

Anyway, to answer the question. For computer and general music listenings I’m running a NFB-12 amp/dac with either the 800ohm DT880s or HD6XX (massdrop’s version of the 650). Also Pinnacle P1s for on the go stuff. Retro/CRT setup has a set of Micca MB42 and a simple class T amp. Think the Lepai. As mentioned, I would love to do something more for my main TV, but all I’ve got right now is a LG SJ8. Didn’t want to go with the SJ9 since I want a proper setup if I’m going to go for atmos.

The first step is determining a budget and thinking about your goals/listening habits. Then ask people in the know for advice.

For me audio has always been very important, even back in 1988 with my first Mega Drive. It had to be outputting the audio in stereo.

In my gaming room I have two audio set ups. One for music and another for gaming / movies.

First up is my music set up. I use a Pioneer BluRay player for playing CD, SACD, DVD Audio and BluRay Audio. That goes in to an Onkyo amp and tuner which is also connected to an Onkyo digital graphic equaliser. A Sony turntable is also connected. My PC is also connected for other digital sound. The whole lot sends the audio to a fantastic set of Elac bookshelf speakers.

The audio set up

The Elac speakers. Just check out those Bad boy cones.

On the gaming / movie side I use yet another Onkyo system but this time a modern 7.1 HD audio amp

This has its audio out put through Sony home cinema speakers. Don’t let the tinny size fool you. These things really do pack a punch.

1 Like