What is your audio setup?

it’s a samsung q50r. it would be more correct it has rca as part of the component input, which I already use and i’d rather no swap cable more than I already do

They’re trying to catch as much search traffic as possible.

I’d try to find one with a proven DAC chip inside.

Is there any reason to prefer dts or Dolby 5.1 on a PS4 Pro? This is going through a JVC RX-6018V receiver (welcome to 2001 lol).

DTS is what you want I believe. It’s the higher bitrate. Some people think the Dolby tinkering to make it work on lower bitrate makes it “better” but I personally prefer DTS.

1 Like

Anyone in here running a vintage stereo receiver for their setup?

If really like to ditch my HK for an 80’s Sansui.

3 Likes

For the main system in my game room, I’m playing through a late 90s Marantz 5.1 AVR (SR780). It was a rescue from work a few years ago and is great for everything up to Xbox with its surround sound.

For my PC in my office I have a retro audio setup for sound. I used to use a cheap Sansui A5, but it has little power and some transistor issues (but the best sound signature of any amp I have). I wanted a better Sansui but due to high prices I went for my current amp, a Kenwood KR-5010. It has phenomenal build quality, plenty of power, and looks great. It doesn’t sound quite as nice as the Sansui but the pros outweigh the cons!

(not my pic)

4 Likes

My Vintage/ Analog Hi-Fi Stereo Setup:

JVC - JT-V31 Stereo Tuner
JVC - CD-1920 Stereo Cassette Deck
JVC - JA-S31 Stereo Integrated Amplifier

4 Likes

whistles what a stack!

1 Like

I have a vintage Technics cassette and Sherwood turntable, running into a modern-ish Pioneer amp, plus some good new-ish (15 years old) floor speakers. It’s with my main TV/stereo set up for movies/games too. 2.0 only but that’s what I like.

Definitely want to go for an all-vintage set up when I finally have a proper house, in a dedicated space.

Regarding games, I recently got some cheap PC speakers for my vintage games set up. Tech has improved so much, as they sound much better than more expensive 90s PC speakers!

1 Like

Hopefully a simple question for some of you pros - I have an older soundbar that I thrifted that I think is cool (Yamaha YSP-1100)… I’ve never used it near a CRT but my setup will allow it space-wise - are these things shielded in a way that they can be close to a CRT? I’m always super careful/afraid w/ speakers near our classic TVs!! Thanks !!!

It’s good to have that caution. I realize I’m only going with classic speaker setups going forward precisely for the shielding.

I can’t answer your specific question, but I would google specs for it to see if there is any shielding. Usually shielding is mentioned somewhere in spec sheets for older speakers. If it’s not mentioned, then it’s likely not shielded and you should avoid putting it too close to your crt.

I found a review that mentions it -

(although, while the speaker is magnetically shielded, Yamaha cautions it might interfere with old-fashion CRT tube TVs if it’s placed too close to them.)

That’s enough of a turn off for me! Thank you @Peltz

Seems like the manufacturer was as ambiguous as possible lol. “Sure there’s shielding but just don’t quote us on that.”

Restricted to a living room that has to be acceptable to significant other, so everything goes into a Sony RHT theatre stand. Not bad actually.

3 Likes

I don’t believe I have ever seen one of those or even know of their existence. Neet.

I’ve also never seen that. Looks really neat!

I picked up some Roland mini monitors for $40, which I think is a super crazy deal.

I want to try using them for my main retro setup, but the thing is, they each plug into the wall and have their own amplifier inside.

So, they obviously don’t have a standard speaker wire input. Can I just run an RCA cable from the pre-outs on my receiver to them? Wouldn’t that mean I can’t adjust the volume from the receiver?

4 Likes

Manual http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/MA-20_OM.pdf

Line in 1 is 1/4" (head)phone jack
Line in 2 is RCA phono type

Does seem that way regarding the volume.

Nice. They’re great PC speakers. You got a nice deal on those. I use a nice pair of creative lab ones myself with some good low-end but I’d swap them out any day for a set of those Roland speakers.

Arranged my audio set up the last few weeks.
First the main tower of coolness. Bottom to top, TEAC CD, TEAC MD (high end model that accepts PS2 keyboards), JVC switch matrix (does S-video too) and to top it off, the Panasonic digital graphic equaliser.

Over on the other desk is my Technics turntable and Onkyo amp that powers everything.

5 Likes