What will you game on when/if your CRT dies? Whats your backup plan?

Yeah, I remember buying into OLED hype because of claims about response time, but you could very easily still see plenty of ghosting due to the sample and hold between frames.

Not ideal for motion heavy side scrollers or even static games with plenty of animated elements

As much as the industry is pushing OLED as some miracle cure for gaming, I really think that IPS LCD is the way to go.

1: The high quality IPS televisions and monitors have great colour accuracy and HDR support.

2: The technology is mature enough that response times are very low (almost to TN panel levels).

3: They can push up to 170hz and beyond in monitors. 60hz for televisions is still standard.

4: They are much cheaper than OLED.

5: They don’t suffer from burn in issues.

1 Like

And let’s not forget VA monitors. They have great blacks due to their superior contrast. I use a 27in 1080P monitor for modern gaming and I like it.

I wonder if it’s possible to build something like a CRT from scratch. Like… I am not an engineer or anything, and I’m sure such a task would be insanely difficult. But just how difficult exactly?

I’d imagine if you can’t get the parts then you’d have to make each of them. I’d imagine some very accurate manufacturing and engineering would be required.

Also did anybody post this?

2 Likes

having finally sold my XRGB a while back, im just gonna weep if this trinotron doesn’t outkast me - prolly find another, debate an OSSC or whatever like option exists without lag? i do have a backup PVM but its tiny

I think scalers will just keep getting better and better. The RetroTink 5X right now is outstanding. I know on my OSSC currently I’ve managed to get results very close to a CRT at least for still images (I’ve got a preset for the PVM/BVM look and one for the arcade monitor look), and now it’s up to display technologies to catch up with motion handling which shouldn’t be too far out. The future looks good.

1 Like

As I’ve said before the future is bright. The OSSC is good and the pro is coming out sometime soon. RetroTink is another good option, and things will keep progressing.

Yeah it sucks that creating replacement CRTs is still kinda impossible/not feasible, but the other options just keep getting better and better making it easier to deal with.

1 Like

both these posts give me hope :heart:
so this is being done with minimal input lag then? how are scanlines, how are they handling resolution changes on the fly?
the latter absolutely broke the framemeister sometime, certain games were nigh unplayable

OSSC is no added input lag but you will still get what you get from the TV itself. The default scanline options look really good but you also get more detailed control options if you want to dial in a very specific look. Then there is the “hybrid scanlines” option which is another layer that lightens sections of the scanline based on the surrounding pixels. Can find out more about that by just googling hybrid scanlines.

1 Like

No lag for the OSSC, everything is just line multiples, even the de-interlacing. for the Retrotink 5X there’s maybe 1 frame or 2 for the motion adaptive deinterlacing of 480i content

The 5X has seamless resolution switches due to the frame buffer I believe (could be wrong), but the OSSC takes a second while it swtiches…it’s nowhere near as bad as the Framemeister, and I haven’t found anything to be unplayable, though Chrono Cross isn’t exactly an ideal playthrough

For scanlines, pretty much all my posts in the 240p thread are from the OSSC. here’s a couple of shots I took recently, showing the 2 presets I mentioned earlier:

1 Like

When I get a bigger place, I decided I’m going to collect PVMs again (if there’s not too many objections from my wife - I mean…who needs sex when you have scanlines am I right?).

A friend of mine has 14 (!!!) of them “just in case”.

1 Like

lol, PVM collecting is now like, “hey check out my underground bunker”
__

There is a modder close to me now that does PVM/CRT servicing and recaps. I’m going to look into getting both of my PVM’s recapped next year. I have no idea what the cost will be. Caps are cheap, but who knows about labor.

2 Likes

Lol. Kinda… like those guys that prep for the collapse of society… but in this case, it’s CRTs.

1 Like

Is it sad that I regret passing up the opportunity to do the same and instead only have 3?

Definitely CRT-prepper

1 Like

Eh… at most I feel apathetic.

definitely post back on the total repair costs, been really curious about that!

I know a lot of folks talk about the glory days when everyone was paying to have PVMs carried off and NES games were $1 a piece, but honestly the community makes being a retro gamer better and better every single year.

Modern TVs have great contrast, fairly low lag, and when paired with scalers like the RT5x or OSSC, have fantastic pictures with OG hardware (motion handling is still a big issue though). A few years ago CRTs seemed like unknowable black boxes that simply died and that was that. Now more folks are starting to figure them out and that will make these things last a long time. Emulation is better and more accessible than ever, and FPGAs are starting to take over the clone console space which has led to some fantastic products. Even niche stuff and accessories stuff like PSUs, ODE options, and great third party controllers are here, which makes a huge difference to the overall scene.

2 Likes

I have no issues with the picture quality through a RetroTINK or on a Mega Sg/Super Nt, but I do play on my Trinitron every now and then too and it’s just… different. I hesitate to say that it’s better (it probably is) but it really is how the games were meant to be seen and played from those earlier eras. Most of the time you just don’t know what you’re seeing/not seeing on modern screens until you go back and play on a CRT, even a crappy one.

I have no backup plan. One day I’ll be dead and it’ll hopefully be before I lose access to CRTs entirely.

1 Like