A new Virtual On game was just released and it's good

I feel like this needed a PSA since I’ve seen so few people talking about it on the sites I frequent.

A Certain Magical Virtual-On was just released on PS4 and Vita. It’s a franchise crossover with a light novel series that I’m not familiar with, but it’s a real-deal new Virtual On game with some occasional anime characters flashing over the screen.

The environments, mech designs, music, and effects are 100% what you’d want from a 2018 Virtual On game. The controls are a little different and don’t feel obviously built around twin sticks, now that there’s an auto-rotate button, but there are some neat new wrinkles that come with this and the game seems beefier to me than Force. There are 1v1 and 2v2 modes, and the online matches I had against some JP players didn’t feel bad despite the distance.

There’s also a new knockdown-based points system and point-based penalties to try to steer the game away from extremely defensive play. Different knockdowns earn you different amounts of points, and it’s EXTREMELY SATISFYING to smack someone with a heavy hit and see “WRECKED +70 POINTS”.

It’s getting late, but I’m looking forward to playing more this weekend. Maybe you can turn off the character overlays, lol.

Oh god…

I mean, gameplay is all that really matters with a Virtual On game right…right?

I don’t even hate anime, but not like this, not like this…

Tried the demo on the jp store. As a long time VO fan I don’t mind it, if it gets the series to appeal to newer and younger players. One button super move aside (when charged up), the core gameplay itself is 100% hardcore.

I was wondering what the general consensus was on this how that the dust has settled? Is it well balanced and does it feel as characteristic to play as the older titles?

Access Games was primarily behind this title, by the way, which is somewhat interesting. I thought they did a good job with the Ace Combat 2 remake on 3DS, but they tend to be hit-and-miss as a work for hire studio (Drakengard 3 had more than a few issues).

I want to get the game but can’t afford to import. Im hoping by next year there is a price drop. I’d there split screen or system link options?

I’ve ordered a copy of the game on PS4, since it appears to be 30fps with a tiny HUD on Vita. Will report back.