Analogue & Retrousb FPGA Consoles OT

The page is up: https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

Looks like it’s got shoulder buttons next to the cart slot. So the form factor is a bit like a GBA SP but without the clamshell.

If they get the colour accuracy and pixel filters looking great - which should be possible given the insane resolution of the display but I am still sceptical - I’m in day one. But I’m already immensely excited about this piece of hardware. True portable gaming has always been a big part of video games for me, and I’ve got a huge library of titles which are just great for playing on the go. This should displace the Game Boy Micro as the best way to play GBA games portably on a backlit display.

At the same time…I’m not sure I actually need this. I still take my Game Boy Pocket out with me whenever I’m playing GB games, heck even my GB Micro still gets used monthly. And the original GBA offers perfect colour reproduction for older titles (like Pinball of the Dead, Boktai or Harmony of Dissonance) while also having almost non-noticeable ghosting in motion. Pixel perfect mapping will still beat a 600+ ppi display, though I think the Analogue will definitely be the best way to play the games on a backlit screen if that’s a priority (it isn’t for me!)

3 Likes