Analogue & Retrousb FPGA Consoles OT

The trademark story from 2 months ago showed “Analogue Pocket” and "Analogue 8″ so it’s assumed the Pocket would be a portable system. I would hope you could plug in an HDMI cable and controller and use it on a TV as well.

4 Likes

Looks like Wallpaper broke the embargo.

1 Like

All over this if it has optional LCD grid ‘scanlines’

1 Like

I’m glad the design takes cues from the Game Boy Pocket down to the asymmetric lower right curve. Though I can see its more premium build making it feel less like a toy you can chuck around and use however you like - one of the appeals of those 90s models. The start/select buttons look less useable than the GB’s large rubber ones.

A high definition display (ten times that of the original Game Boy, so we’re told) makes colours pop, shine and glow like never before.

Hoping for good pixel and colour space filters. Pre-GBC stuff will be difficult to nail since the blurry appearance of the GB and GBP screens gave the games a soft form of antialiasing which was dynamic based on how the screen was lit.

Those start select buttons looks like they could be pressed by the base of the thumb when gripping the side?

I didn’t notice that, yeah that could totally happen. I seem to rest the base of my thumb on the face of the DMG where those buttons are located but not on a GBC, might be okay depending on the form factor but does look like a poor decision imo

My GBA SP works great and I prefer the clamshell style for actually putting it in a coat pocket. Given the likely high price (and shipping) I will pass. I am looking forward to reviews though to see how well it’s received. It looks really nice, but then again Analogue has always had good marketing.

From reset

$199
Rechargable batteries
Switch-style dock with HDMI out
1600 x 1440 resolution
GB, GBC, and GBA compatibility
Add-on cart attachments for additional platforms like NGPC

Okay price but then that’s not including the outrageous shipping cost :confused:

Oof $199 USD is expensive but I’m not sure what I was expecting really. Postage will be killer to Australia too on top of that :cry:

Nice design though and hopefully the games scale well to the screen.

NGPC without clicky stick = nope.

But for everything else, sure whynot.

Seriously though, can someone, anyone, make that clicky stick again?

Eh… how do you play Metroid Zero without shoulder buttons?

It’s a hard pass for me but glad to see another cool device on the market that will hopefully mean less gutted GBAs and less of the GB line with aftermarket parts. It’s hard to find genuine stock GBA hardware these days.

The page is up: https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

Looks like it’s got shoulder buttons next to the cart slot. So the form factor is a bit like a GBA SP but without the clamshell.

If they get the colour accuracy and pixel filters looking great - which should be possible given the insane resolution of the display but I am still sceptical - I’m in day one. But I’m already immensely excited about this piece of hardware. True portable gaming has always been a big part of video games for me, and I’ve got a huge library of titles which are just great for playing on the go. This should displace the Game Boy Micro as the best way to play GBA games portably on a backlit display.

At the same time…I’m not sure I actually need this. I still take my Game Boy Pocket out with me whenever I’m playing GB games, heck even my GB Micro still gets used monthly. And the original GBA offers perfect colour reproduction for older titles (like Pinball of the Dead, Boktai or Harmony of Dissonance) while also having almost non-noticeable ghosting in motion. Pixel perfect mapping will still beat a 600+ ppi display, though I think the Analogue will definitely be the best way to play the games on a backlit screen if that’s a priority (it isn’t for me!)

3 Likes

I think it has shoulder buttons

More pics here: https://www.fastcompany.com/90417529/this-new-gaming-device-is-like-a-game-boy-for-design-snobs

Shit, Dock price is TBA, that $199 is just the machine

It still looks like it won’t offer the immediacy of the original hardware, bit like the strip of membrane buttons on the original 3DS.

The beauty of the GB/GBP/GBC start/select buttons is they were large, easy to activate and close to both the D-Pad and buttons, so could press them with either thumb. On Link’s Awakening it makes constantly accessing the inventory screen much less of a problem I found.

1 Like

Oh god why… :dizzy_face:

My guess is the dock will be about $70…
$199 - Pocket
$70-80 - Dock
$60 - International shipping
$50ish - Import fees

I’m still considering it but boy is that a tough pill to swallow

I’ve bought every analogue console outside of the neo geo and i probably will do this. Doing all the gb mods isn’t that appealing to me and I’m very excited about the developer access of the fpga. Shipping to California is fairly cheap from them all things considered from what others have been talking about online. I ended up ordering both the Super NT & NT Mini at the same time and they combined the shipping costs so it was a lot better than 2 shipments (even though they shipped the Mini and Super NT separately anyway).

In the end this might be the one thing ive wanted since the start of getting back into retro. A way to play my snes, gba and nes games on the go without emulation weirdness.

Yeh our exchange rate is horrendous lately too… and I think they’re about to charge customs fees for everything instead of just stuff over $400NZD… though it will probably be over that anyway.

1 Like

Looks good! Will cop.