Analogue & Retrousb FPGA Consoles OT

Good deal. We can convene the review panel when they ship. :smiley:

The NT Mini is sold out at Analogueā€™s site. This was the second run, and the original NT only had two runs.

This is where it gets interesting. It might be the end of the NT Mini.

If the Super NT gets jailbreak and external DAC for RGB (the latter is practically confirmed), the NT Mini will have greatly reduced relevance in the marketplace.

An external DAC has been (mostly) confirmed?

Iā€™m pretty confident itā€™s happening.

HDMI to RGB is actually pretty simple. There are good quality HDMI to VGA adapters for $20 on the market with virtually no lag (since they donā€™t buffer frames).

Ah, I do remember that tweet now. Thanks!

The downscale to native res is sort of key though.

240p over HDMI is definitely a thing, and Analogue has talked twice about how light gun games should work with a DAC so itā€™s a given that weā€™re talking 240p on the analog side.

Now, what horizontal resolutions work with 240p over HDMI and if sampling mismatches might be a thing there, I have no ideaā€¦

NT Mini may have an advantage of not being constrained by intermediary HDMI horizontal resolution.

The pi outputs 240p over hdmi which makes it as easy as a hdmi-vga adapter and a sync combiner. Iā€™m sure analog can do the same output on the super nt(which is exactly what youā€™re saying)

After a little digging, Iā€™m fairly confident that the Super NT should have no problem (might take an update, obviously), of outputting specific horizontal resolutions like 256 and 320 with 240p over HDMI. Which could then feed a simple external DAC.

Obviously none of this has a commitment for implementation, but I think thereā€™s a good chance of it happening.

The hobby is so far beyond what I thought it would be just like three years ago. Lots of work being done to implement accurate and high-quality solutions over both digital and analog outputs.

Joined the club!

Itā€™s a stunning machine. Got a Super NT on preorder too

3 Likes

Lol, youā€™re crazy man.

I did the exact same thing. No regrets.

Hoping the NT Mini goes back on sale. System looks great, Rich.

Iā€™ve got an UltraHDMI board on order tooā€¦

ha :smiley: Looking to get all of my gaming collection 1080p/HDTV ready and Iā€™m almost there! Pity thereā€™s no movement on the Sega side of things though

Been giving the GBC core a go tonight, great that it loads all the mono Game Boy games too just like a GBC would - much better than using the standard GB core, considering you can force a greyscale pallette at boot. kinda hilarious how I spent Ā£400 on a premium console and Iā€™m here playing pokemon on it though:

just noticed that the NT Mini is totally sold out nowā€¦and going by atariage, they may not be making more. Holy shit am I happy I impulse bought this thing on christmas day.

1 Like

Super NT pre-orderā€¦ordered!

$15 to ship it from Seattle to Seattle, lol smh.

Considering the size and the expense of the thing that is pretty normal. USPS charges $7.15 for a small flat rate and $13.50 for a medium and only covers $50. I do a lot of Shipping with ups and USPS and most things cost more than $10. Considering the size and cost to insure it with Fed ex or UPS they probably are breaking even or taking a small loss.

Fair enough, I guess it seemed a little high, not terrible but a little bit.

Just ordered the Super NT in black + 2x SN30 black controllers from Amazon! The toughest part (besides the crappy Canadian exchange rate) was deciding on which color. I figured black would look the most stealthy.

Clear was my second choice, but honestly, they all look amazing!

Do we know if theyā€™re still on target to ship in February? Iā€™m pretty excited for the Super Ntā€¦

I had a hard time between the black and the super famicom one. I love the SFC/EU-SNES color and I thought it looked pretty amazing. I think it would be neat to have 1 of each controller but that seems silly.