Analogue & Retrousb FPGA Consoles OT

They have that adapter that works with the retron. I wonder if that would work.

And another one:

Canā€™t watch now. Positive overall?

Love that there are seperate video settings for games with either a 256 or 320 horizontal res in game. Was anticipating having to switch settings constantly which would have been a real pain.

Yes its positive overall but MLIG ran in to some issues with Sega CD games. Will Beamish crashed, Night Trap looped the intro on a model 2 but worked on a model 1.

I really liked Gamesackā€™s review of the MEGA SG. I would recommend watching it first.

1 Like

The sound options are insane, I think Iā€™d be constantly fidgeting with those :open_mouth:

Itā€™s here !

First impressions of the console are great. Itā€™s going to take some time to dial in the audio options but Iā€™ve started with Gamesackā€™s recommendations and it sounds great to me. I found the sound effects-music balance to be off as Joe mentioned so being able to adjust all the sound channels individually is great !

Ultracore is awesome! It totally feels like a 2d take on Doom. I havenā€™t played much of the Turrican series but it looks and feels a whole lot like that. The music is awesome and sounds like it would have been right at home pumping out of the C64 Sid chip !

If anyone gives this game a go Iā€™d highly recommend switching the controls from " 8 way" to ā€œfreeā€. The game could have really benefitted from 6 button controller support but setting it to free felt alot better to me and I stopped accidentally using my bombs/switching my weapon when I was instead trying to hold in place and shoot.

6 Likes

I watched both video reviews. Itā€™s insane how much work and attention to detail has gone into this thing. Iā€™m surprised itā€™s only $190. Five years ago enthusiasts would have paid way more than $190 for this thing. Itā€™s nuts. The retro hardware scene has come a long way.

Question for those who have already gotten theirs. Does you power button click like the reset button? Mine feels oddly mushy and doesnt click at all. Was Ultracore installed on your unit? My homescreen does not have ā€œPlay Ultracoreā€ on it so not sure if it was missed or I need to update the firmware? Thanks in advance.

I donā€™t have one but I know you need to update the FW in order to get Ultracore.

My buddy couldnā€™t play anything at all until he did a firmware update.

As others have said you need to update it first before you can play ultracore.

My power button feels pretty mushy but it does click at the bottom. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve even pressed the reset button yet to compare.

Echoing @Socksfelloff, make sure to update the firmware to 4.2.

My only minor issue thus far has actually to do with Krikzzā€™ joyzz pads. I absolutely love the feel of the controllers but was getting connection issues throughout my play session on the Mega SG; this has occurred on a real Genesis in my office, but to a much lesser extent. Maybe more interference going on in my living room?

Either way, Iā€™m happy with my Mega SGpurchase. :slight_smile:

My power button is the same unfortunately. I donā€™t like how it feels at all! Thankfully everything else about the unit is amazing. Really loving it so far, which has only been a couple of hours. Hope to get some more time with it this weekend.

A new firmware update is out !

Nice! On the latest MLIG steam they mentioned a new firmware would be released soon and another one is in the works. The MLIG livestream on 4-7 is supposed to be all about the Mega Sg and will feature Kevin Horton.

1 Like

Jailbreak firmware for Mega SG is now live on Github. Cores supported are

• Genesis/Megadrive
  • Master System and SG-1000
  • Game Gear
  • ColecoVision

WOW!

4 Likes

That was quick!

FBX posted video settings for the Mega Sg today and will post an audio one tomorrow. Since I currently canā€™t post on Era would one of you share it over there?

1 Like