Astrocity mini - Yay or nay?

Is there anywhere selling this in Japan that ships international and isn’t Amazon? They’re not shipping to NZ currently (tax reasons) and i’d like to cut out the middle man (Play-Asia) if possible.

The GG Mini is a bundle of 4 devices, so 16 games total, but yeah.

https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/retro-games/38283-astro-city-mini-sega.html

1 Like

I hadn’t even looked at the list of so-far announced games… Fantasy Zone :slight_smile:

Ami Ami should ship worldwide.

Astro City Mini
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail?scode=GAME-0023753&rank=

Control Pad
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail?scode=GAME-0023754&rank=

3 Likes

Here’s the list of currently confirmed game so far:

Alien Syndrome
Alien Storm
Golden Axe
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
Columns II
Dark Edge
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Virtua Fighter
Fantasy Zone
Altered Beast

I was trying to find a list of game that used the astro city cabinet, but nothign definite came up. I assume it could fit a bunch of different boards in it.
Some games I’d like to see though would be;
Eswat, Shinobi or Shadow Dancer, Bonanza Bros (the MD conversion didn’t quite have the zing I was looking for) and I know this is a long shot, but Arcade Moonwalker. Essentially 1 classic I loved (shinobi) and a bunch I wanted to play more, but never got around to. I never even saw Eswat int he arcades.

I noticed they list the years with the games.

So far they’re between 1986 and 1993, with a slight bias towards the later end of the range.

An Astro city wiring will play jamma games, so basically early to mid nineties games.

Most were Standard resolution (15 kHz), but they’ll also play medium resolution (25 kHz), like Virtua Fighter.

BUT, the games already confirmed aren’t strictly jamma wired, some of them are Sega system 16 or the like, which can run on jamma with converters.

So your best bet is just to search for popular Sega arcade games and throw darts.

1 Like

What is 25 kHz in actual pixel terms? Never knew about this - but it makes sense. VF looks very sharp in the barcade I used to go to before the pandemic.

Sega’s medium res content was always 496 x 384

I thought the NEOGEO Mini was underrated somewhat due to its glorious pixel perfect display, hearing this has a clicky stick has me interested. But as others have said the emulation is an unknown quantity right now.

I still may grab one. Neo Geo Mini looks cool

Thank you for this :heart:

Nay. I’d pay out the ass for a full size stick with emulator ROMs preloaded though

Nay, done with mini systems. Gimmicky POSes

I can’t stop reading Astrocity like Mega Mind would. Every time I see this thread lol.

They are certainly gimmicky, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing for the right consumer. I’ve always maintained they’re the perfect stocking stuffer for a casual video game fan, or a fun thing to collect as a hobby for enthusiasts.

But yea, to me, they don’t take on the ideal form factor for me. I’d love if these releases supported analogue output of some kind, even if it is at a higher price.

1 Like

Yeah I love the little cuties. I have a million ways to play every game ever made but I have greatly enjoyed every single one of these “minis” ever since Nintendo aced the NES. Fun and cool looking, I like having them around. Even the boxes are usually cool.

1 Like

I just preordered mine off Amazon Japan along with the mini controller, this thing is just too hard to resist and sounds pretty high quality. I’ve imported games from Amazon Japan several times and have always had a smooth experience. Also, not sure if this has been posted yet but additional games announced, 23 out of 36 so far (final 13 titles will be announced Sept 5th):

Cotton
Shinobi
Shadow Dancer
ESWAT
Crack Down
Gain Ground
Puyo Puyo (2?)
Columns
Bonanza Bros
Ichidant-R
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

2 Likes

This is great! The games I wanted on there are actually on there! Woot. Feeling totes justified in my purchases yo!
Thanks for keeping an eye on the update. I’m so pumped for this now, even more so than before!

1 Like