Best way to mount HDTV to go from normal to TATE?

Mounting a TV to normal construction drywall with toggle bolts is a really bad idea. It will fail; don’t do that. Mount it to the studs.

[edit] If the studs don’t line up, cut sections of the drywall out and add noggins to mount to. It will be behind the TV anyway so it’s worth the effort the ensure the solid mounting. I had the convenience of having access to the backside of the wall I mounted my TV so I could add them in easily.

1 Like

100% agree. Find a stud they’re within 16” you’ll have peace of mind

1 Like

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3 Likes

Insert “That’s what she said” joke here.

Haha

These are absolute garbage and no one in there right mind should mount their TV to the wall using these. As others have said, find a stud!!!

@ShinJohnpv 's setup is different with those holding into wood rather then drywall.

ShinJohnpv, with this mount, can the HDTV be tilted downwards in the horizontal position (in case it’s mounted high or the seating is relatively low)?

We really need the next XRGB to have a native TATE mode. There are plenty of pixels now to scale with.

I think Fudoh recently built a device that can do this. It lets you play Tate modes even if your HDTV screen is normally oriented.

Yeah I saw that, but I don’t want more equipment. Scalers could do it to a 4K (or even a 1080), no problem.

I don’t bother with Tate on HDTVs. PC is another animal all together. Low input lag + gsync + my monitor already can be oriented properly.

Also it accepts HDMI so going from a retro console to this is fairly simple via the ossc.

2 Likes

Looks good. What pc monitor is that?

It’s a Dell 27" w/ gsync. It has like 2 different names.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s2716dg-g-sync-27-led-monitor-piano-black/4598802.p?skuId=4598802&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=e97c76c1-de58-4411-b15c-5290150dbf0b&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg199051&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

It’s a TN. I wish it was IPS and it’s picky about HDMI cables with the ossc.

1 Like

In the end, I also picked up a TN for my retro setup (Asus VG275). Sure IPS panels grant superb IQ, but they don’t really seem entirely suited for retro, as they greatly suffer from temporary image retention, due to flashing/flickering graphics (‘SNK’ shadows, 480i games…). That said, the Asus has the very welcome feature - a personal most wanted - of allowing TATE in both clockwise and counter-cw directions, out of the box, so it’s good with older shumps too, that didn’t come with advanced display settings.

Hey sorry I’ve been crazy busy the last few weeks with holidays and other stuff. I’m not home right now to check but if I remember right it has some very slight angling up and down but not much.

1 Like

I own this same monitor and it’s great. I love that it can easily be rotated. I don’t have the OSSC, but I use it to play shooters and the like on PC. Mushihimesama is glorious.

TN panels are completely unsuitable for tate due to the colour shift when rotated and extremely narrow viewing angles.

Just google “shmups tn tate” to see what I mean. Or search for any monitor recommendation thread in the hardware section on the shmups forum and everyone says to steer clean of TN.

Fudoh: “In short: in general (and especially if you want to rotate your display) don’t buy a TN panel, but get an IPS one instead.”

“the latest generation of IPS panels (for example the Dell 2312) really isn’t this expensive, so there’s no reason to buy a TN panel anymore. The Dell is also the fastest display on the market today (in terms of zero input lag).”

But I concur with it being quite unnecessary to rotate an huge hdtv, a 27 inch monitor gives a really nice sized viewing area for 3:4 content and takes up very little space if permanently rotated.

Is it possible that TN technology got better throughout the years, and newer panels suffer from less severe issues, when it comes to color shift? I’m saying so because - I agree - my older Asus 24" is completely useless in TATE mode, as you can clearly see how half of its screen is noticeably darker that the other. With all that said, though, the VG275 that I bought a few months ago looks very good and seems to me perfectly acceptable, when rotated in both directions. Still far from the vibrancy of an IPS screen, but then again, I’d still rate IPS displays to be less suitable for retro than TN ones (haven’t tried any VA monitor yet).

Did you look at the picture of my monitor? Did you see any shift? The shift is minor if noticeable at all. You have to point the center at your view. The monitor not only rotates 90 degree in either direction. It can pivot to accommodate for any shift. I am guessing the tilt is 25-35 degrees and it can move up and down vertically too. This monitor is amazing for all it can do.

Exactly, your display looks perfectly fine to me. To the point I feel kinda bummed I didn’t look into Dell monitors better: yours seems to have all the same features of my Asus, plus I bet it surpasses it, in terms of materials and details (say, I’ve seen 800+ euros Rog Swift monsters with slightly misaligned bezels).

1 Like