Danexmurder’s Mods and Repairs Thread.

The progression in the design of the custom parts/components is pretty great. We are a long way from the days of tons of wires and having to cut up cases just to make things fit. Has helped a lot in various handheld modding, but also made it even possible for the super compact/dense systems like the Wii.

Also your comment on replacing the fan in the gamecube; yes it is easy. There is also a drop in replacement with a 3d printed mount that works well. Like this;
https://laserbear.net/shop/ols/products/gamecube-fan-mount

They also have a good GC-Loader sd card mount.

1 Like

I have ordered a couple of snap-fit SNES multi-outs from Laser Bear. Really solid quality stuff. I may end up grabbing one of these from him in the future!

They also sell one of the recommended replacement fans with optional modding of the connector, something you are probably fine doing on your own.

I like that they provide the model files so you can just print your own stuff as well.

1 Like

Part one of @apathetic 's WiiDual mod vid is up! You can watch me try to solve the Wii disassembly puzzle.

1 Like

I’m excited to see inside of it myself since it is the one of like 2 of my second hand consoles that I have not taken apart to clean.

Edit: Also another way to telling what model revision you are getting from just seeing online listings is if the text on the front is vertical or horizontal along with the color of the system. For instance all black, red, or light blue systems that have the vertically oriented text will be a cpu 40-60. Whites can still be an earlier revision that can’t have this particular mod.

Easy to check in person since the revision is visible from that battery compartment, but just a protip for buying online.

1 Like

The 2nd part of @apathetic 's WiiDual mod vid is up! This is all the fun stuff. This one was a challenge but a lot of fun. Doing the GCDual first definitely helped me get my bearings for this one.

The next vid will be further testing and modification to the case its self.

3 Likes

Looking forward to watching.

Unfortunately because some dumb shit happening at work that I’ve had to deal with the last two weeks I haven’t been able to do a damn thing with the system itself aside from starting my testing of it. So I hope I will be able to get back to that soon as well.

2 Likes

Lots of fun small pitch stuff on this one. The ribbon cable in particular required some patience and finesse.

I assume it is a common thing people mess up since he sells them separate as replacements.

The final part @apathetic 's Wii Dual installation is up!

Case mod and final testing in this one.

1 Like

Damn, was about to order and now price almost doubled. Crap.

1 Like

Bummer! I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a finite amount of these things left. I hate it when that sort of things happens.

My next few projects are going to be NES/Fami related. More to come soon!

2 Likes

Latest Frontloader NES RGB videos are in editing now. Bout to start in on my first top loader NES RGB for @HockeyMike34 !

Part 1 of an NES RGB Frontloader install I did for a coworker is up. This one goes over a full recap including the RF Module.

3 Likes

Cool video! Besides the RF module a NES recap looks pretty straightforward. So few caps lol.

Interesting that the RF removal method the console 5 wiki recommended didn’t seem to work that well. :thinking:

After the new year a desoldering station is on my list…along with cheap “for parts/repair” stuff to practice on. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! More to follow!

Yeah, I’m not sure why the RF module didn’t come off after desoldering the five pins there. It isn’t super hard to get the module off the other way. Really just more time consuming.

A desoldering vacuum is super handy. I still use a fair amount of braid but the vacuum makes doing stuff like this so much easier. I’ve been debating throwing down the fliff for a Hakko.

I’ve refurbed and repaired a handful of eBay parts/repair units. It’s a ton of fun when you get one to work!

Hey! It has been a while but I finally got Part 2 of my NESRGB Install uploaded. This one covers removing the PPU and prepping the RGB board. This video has been my biggest one to date. Lots of details to cover!

5 Likes

Nice work as always. Hoping to see even more video’s being posted up!

1 Like

Thanks! Definitely more to come. Things have picked up like crazy at my job so I haven’t had any time to do mod work lately. But when things slow down there I’ll be back at it.

3 Likes