Danexmurder’s Mods and Repairs Thread.

NESRGB part 3 is up! In this one I go over wiring and hooking up the palette switch and SNES multi out PCB.

1 Like

The final video in the front-loader NES RGB series is finally up! This one covers case modification, final board install, audio/power hookup, and testing. Videos on the top loader will be up soon! I’ve been super busy with work and haven’t had time to work on my mod projects but I’m off the rest of the year starting tomorrow and will getting back to these asap.

5 Likes

First video in my series on the top-loader NES RGB and Borti I/O board install is up! I did this one for @HockeyMike34 a little while back and am happy to finally be able to post it. I struggled through equipment issues on this one. Both my camera and my desoldering vacuum threw me off my game. I still managed to get it all out together and working well including an expansion audio upgrade. More in this series soon.

4 Likes

Part 2 of the NES top loader RGB/Borti mod is up!

1 Like

Part 3 of @HockeyMike34 's toploader NESRGB is up! In this one I go over expansion audio installation and board prep/installation for the Borti I/O board.

3 Likes

It’s alive! I managed to resurrect a badly damaged Sega Nomad. This one had been sitting in my shop for ages and I finally got around to fixing it up. There were a lot of bent and misaligned pins on the cpu. There were also a couple that were broken off. I managed to scrape away some of the chip and use a strand of Kynar wire to rerout a pin.

After that I hooked up an extra composite lcd I had lying around. This screen isn’t the best in the world but it will do for now. I also tested the controller port and video out and they both work.

As you can see this particlar LCD is very yellow. I’m having trouble tracking down weather that is from the damaged IC or if this particular LCD is just kinda bad. The video out looks pretty ok. In general it’s all a little dark but I’ll take that over a completely dead unit. This one was fun to finally get up and running again.

3 Likes

Looking at the image: is blue channel missing?

1 Like

Weirdly no, there’s definitely blue there. It’s just that all the whites are yellow. Which I’ve never seen before. This one kind of has me stumped.

1 Like

Can the glue on the lcd’s plastic screen have yellowed over time? How old is it? Is the yellow consistent throughout the screen?

1 Like

The DS lite screens have a tendency to yellow when the glue that binds the front polarizer film to the LCD ages. Could be the same here.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking.

1 Like

@Gravitone @peltz That’s really interesting. This screen has sat in a box in my shop for a couple of years. Think that’s long enough for this to happen? Also, with that type of yellowing is it usually uniform?

Definitely. It’s been aging since production. Only way to confirm really is to peel the polarizer in a corner and see if its discoloured.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll try that. That’s not the screen protector that comes on there but the actual film on the screen right?

Just wrapped up a recap on my friend’s Sega CD 2. Lots of caps to pull but everything went smoothly.

I also just posted part 4 of the top loader RGB/IGR install.

1 Like

@Danexmurder is the man. Thanks again for the Sega CDX work last year.

If anyone needs stuff done and he has the availability, definitely hire this guy.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks @DaveLong ! It was a lot of fun getting to work on that. First time I’d ever even SEEN a CDX in person. Learned a lot working on it for you! I’m currently doing a full refurb + triple bypass for a friend’s Sega tower of power. I’ve actually worked on more Sega stuff than anything else weirdly. Just how it worked out.

1 Like

The last of the NES RGB Top loader videos is up! Moving on to some PS1 stuff soon!

1 Like

New video is up! First time installing a PS1 digital.

1 Like

Hello it’s me tom from YouTube I hope this message comes to you and I’m doing this right (crossing fingers)

1 Like