Do you all collect anything besides video game/vg related items?

Started collecting Vinyl this year and boy did I ever pick two expensive hobbies! Like @KC-Slater, I’m trying to only buy things I want to play/listen to (both games and Vinyl). I used to collect due to rarity or just for the sake of collecting, but not only was it getting old fast and not enjoyable, but also it’s impossible to afford long-term.

1 Like

My wife keeps asking my why all my hobbies have to be expensive.

:sob:

2 Likes

Clothes, Brand shoes, makeup, nail polishing, beauty spa stuff aren’t cheap either, so she (usually) don’t make a fuzz about my hobbies.

1 Like

My wife is the most frugal person I know so I got nothin’ as far as that argument goes unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Start collecting rocks

1 Like

Fancy rocks ain’t cheap!!

2 Likes

Vinyl. Lot’s and lot’s of vinyl!

But anything music related tends to also wind up in my home, like synths, samplers, drum machines, gear, etc. CD’s, tapes, you name it. The other group of toys lol!

2 Likes

I think I had some posted on GAF a while back, but they’ve changed since. I’ll try to post some this week.

Most of my stuff is limited or open-run prints (and some vinyl toys) by artist like Robert Crumb, KAWS, Shepard Fairey, and some local Canadian artists. I also have a few animation cels, original comic art, a bunch Supreme decks, and some framed band poster prints from shows I went to. I am regularly rotating stuff in and out as the mood strikes me.

1 Like

Pics would be awesome!

I collect Frazetta prints myself, along with CRTs and vintage Hif-Fi. The latter two are at a much smaller scale though just due to size. This has forced me to be pretty picky lately and so both of those hobbies have slowed down.

I used to be big into knife collecting as well, mostly Japanese kitchen knives and pocket knives with exotic steels. A few years ago I found good knives for both categories that sort of dulled my desire for new ones. I would like to check out a few models but due to overall price and my actual use/needs, I can’t bring myself to get them.

I also collect the usual stuff like movies, books, and old toys.

1 Like

I collect some manga, various music cd’s, and the occasional figure.

Apart from retro games, I have a small collection (if you can call it that) of 80’s & 90’s board games, it didn’t start out as a collection it was a result of discovering the terrible quality of modern board games when buying for my own kids. Guess Who being a prime example! It literally falls to pieces after one play :neutral_face: Anyway, I have some classics (all 100% complete and tidy) Heroquest, Risk, Mr Pop, Downfall, Connect 4 etc, I will post some pics when I get chance.

2 Likes

I am very interested in this.

1 Like

Pretty much most of my collecting is limited to video game and video game related items such as promo stands and promo material.

However in recent times I have also been picking up the odd VHS cassette tapes. Mainly focused on ex-rental, pre-cert and Disney VHS, but also the occasional random movie if it takes my fancy and highly interested in security tapes from buildings that have been abandoned (Only have a couple).

I dumped my original VHS collection and became a very early adopter of DVD and would have never dreamed of returning to the format and its poor quality. However since I now have pro/broadcast quality AV equipment and people are just throwing away tapes, it is nice to have a cheap and often free side hobby with the bonus of getting to watch some movies I would have previously just passed over.

1 Like

Although VHS quality is poor compared to newer technology, there is something really nostalgic about VHS and its packaging (if you grew up with them) I think for me it’s the result of a childhood of visiting video rental shops and spending ages reading the back of the boxes trying to choose one, the artwork/cover art was obviously important too.
I’m old enough to remember the time before we had VHS players and remember when we first got ours and where able to watch movies at home, sounds weird now but it was exciting times.
As a side note, in the early VHS days we had a man that would call to streets on our estate in his car (at weekends) and you could rent VHS movies from him, they would be lined up in the boot (trunk) of his car and you picked which ones you wanted and could return them the following week. Yes, we lived the dream in the 1980’s :sunglasses:

1 Like

Had to stop myself from getting into vhs. Would just be another set of shelves with stuff I don’t have time to fully enjoy even if I kept it to only things that really really appealed to me. I just stick with the 5 or so tapes that I somehow saved over the years that have some sort of special sentemental value to me.

Not just it’s packaging. Even though it isn’t something I would acept at all on modern formats I get hit right in the feels from the previews on any of the tapes that I watched 100s of times when I was younger. More nostalgic then the movies themselves in some cases. Even really dumb things like the pizza ad on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles tape.

1 Like

I still watch my small collection of VHS tapes. In the middle of Tango & Cash atm.

2 Likes

I like how NEO GEO MVS carts look a bit like VHS tapes.

1 Like

Couldn’t have worded it better myself!

I’d almost forgotten about those people who would do VHS rentals out of the back of vans! That was when VHS retail prices were still very high and rental was a much more viable option. Which I recall was a really popular option for an after Sunday dinner movie.

There really is something to be said about the aesthetics of VHS that was lost in the transfer over to optical media and I really do have nostalgia especially for ex-rental:

1 Like

Agreed! I really like revisiting VHS movies and seeing what trailers were bundled in the beginning. As much of a pain in the ass it was to rent VHS and return in a day or two. I do miss browsing the aisles and looking through the bargain bins and finding deals on blockbuster movies from the previous summer. One thing my kids will never experience.

1 Like

Digital might be more convenient but we definitely lost something along the way, I remember visiting my local Blockbuster around 1996/97 I would rent a couple of videos and some PS1 games and pick up popcorn etc, I rented twisted metal that many times it would have been cheaper to just buy it! As you say something our children will never experience.

1 Like