Do you all collect anything besides video game/vg related items?

Stopping at blockbuster with the family and renting games/movies was definitely a favorite activity. Especially after they started carrying DVDs and you didn’t need to rewind them.

You can likely still get a similar experience at your local library. Some libraries even carry video games now.

3 Likes

Yeah I loved going to Blockbuster, honestly.

1 Like

I need a Netflix VR UI in my life that is essentially a video rental store.

1 Like

Yeah, and if we are making a video store UI for VR, we should make sure it takes place in the early - mid 90s and I would have to randomly run into a girl I liked every time I am there (and at the same time, try to hide the fact I am renting a video game or Anime instead of a cool movie that she would approve of).

1 Like

I collect older cassette tapes but recently both TDK and Maxell have released new cassette tapes so I just had to check them out over on my second channel. Are they Chinese type 0 quality or are they actually any good?

3 Likes

Why am I only finding out now you have an AV focused second channel?

Looking forward to seeing your take on minidisc. I bought a load of minidisc stuff back in December and have gotten pretty into it since then, now have:

• Onkyo FR-N9NX combo CD/MD deck that I use this for most room playback plus recording from mp3s as it has USB functionality plus have an an ipod+dock hooked up for when that makes sense
  • Onkyo FR-7GX that I was using before I got the above deck, not sure what to do with it now!
  • Onkyo MD-105TX deck hooked up to my TV system but thinking about moving this to another room
  • Sony Walkman MZ-NE410 I use for net MD stuff, sometimes grab it for use around the house
  • Sony MZ-BE10 that I use for ad-hoc toslink recording plus usually use this for playback w/ headphones around the house/patio
  • Appx 100 minidiscs I got new old stock off amazon japan, about half Sony Basic 80s + color mix pack with the rest a mix of Maxell, Victor, TDK, and Axia stuff.

I think a lot of the appeal is similar to cassette, like having a physical object for music playback makes the experience more interesting to me plus the recording aspect makes it all feel more personal. And you don’t have to be so careful with the stuff as you do with CDs, so I can leave my CD collection safely on a shelf.

Really like the variety of the stuff I’ve got so far and I’ve already used about 30 of the discs to record a mix of dubbed CDs, dvd/bluray live shows, youtube performances that have been coming up due to coronavirus, bootlegs, and a couple custom game soundtracks from my own consoles. Been a really pleasant if expensive way to enjoy music more.

2 Likes

Good post! The idea of recording live stuff off DVDs and YouTube is a great idea!!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve always been in to AV stuff but never really talked about it much. I couldn’t care less about the snob audiophile scene. That’s just obsessive and in my opinion a waste of cash. That’s not to say I don’t like quality mind you.

You sure have a lot of MD equipment. MD is cool. Loved it since 1998 when I got my first sharp player / recorder.
Now I have about 10 players and a few recorders. They all work too :+1:
I’m hoping people will enjoy me showing them later on next week.

1 Like

Always tempted by old consumer electronics. one of the local thriftstores has a boxed portable md recorder for 50,- that I’m tempted to pick up.

1 Like

If it is a JVC or Kenwood you should seriously check it first to make sure it’s good.

I collect 3D Blu rays. The 3D medium always impressed me and I’ll forever be disappointed by how badly many things were handled in terms of its deployment in theaters and in homes. I used to collect PVC figures, 1/6 statues, 1/4 statues and posters but I stopped collecting those because they take up way too much space and I’m not made out of money unfortunately

Decided to pull the plug on that minidisc recorder I saw last week. It’s a Sony mz-r35. The player, and accessories are all in mint condition. The box would have been too, had the goons at the thriftstore not taped it shut with 4 layers of clear tape.

4 Likes

Ordered a 10 pack of new 80min. Sony MD’s from Amazon for 50,-. After waiting for almost two weeks, this is what arrived.

A single disc in an envelope. Thankfully getting a full refund and I can keep the disc.

1 Like

That’s kind of annoying, but at least a refund is on the way.

I’ve been kind of interested in Mini discs, as they’re an enigma to me. One time I visited Japan and MDs were everywhere and super popular. I was intrigued as I’d never seen them before.
The next trip to Japan they had practically disappeared and were in the discount bin assuming you could find them at all. Like a flash in the pan they burned brightly and were gone. Seemed odd to me something so convenient and popular at the time to have such a short life, but I guess the rise of the MP3 player was the cause.
Do they have the audio limits that CDs have?

I collect toys, mainly transformers and Sega Saturn games, which I’ve been a fan of since it came out, but have gotten to the point in my collection where the games I am looking for are the ridiculously expensive ones, or some trashy shovelware (that amount of awful vs. fighters I have is obscene). Which can still be kind of fun. Now I have a tendency t pick up cheap odd games that look like they’ll provide an interesting experience.

I used to collect music on CD for about 20 years. I still have my collection of about 1200 CD’s. Mostly extreme metal, rock, prog, electronic experimental stuff and even some jazz and mainstream pop. Around 10 years ago I digitalized all of my CD’s. Not long after that I subscribed to Spotify, which kind of took over as my main music consumption method. Around that time I decided to fully move from CD’s to vinyl, since it’s a nicer format to collect in my opinion. I already had a small vinyl collection, so I just gradually changed my buying habit.

Now I have around 400 vinyl releases in my collection. I mostly buy new albums directly from bands/artists and independent labels, I prefer limited edition coloured vinyl and I usually have a bunch of albums in pre-order. I seldom go to a physical record store (I actually live in a city where, last time I checked, we had 5 record stores!), since most of the time they just don’t stock the stuff I want. I spend way more money on this than on gaming actually. :slight_smile:

I have been trying real hard to avoid vinyl collecting, but it seems to be getting harder and harder. I have a bunch just from special editions of games and kickstarters so I’m at the point of why not get some from bands that I really like? Because I know that is how it becomes another obsession of mine and I’m sure I’ll suddenly have 400 new things that I never have the time to listen to all of

I can relate with that. But it used to be worse when I was younger, nowadays I can keep myself in check most of the time. But sometimes a couple of my favourite artists release a new album at the same time, so what can I do? :slight_smile:

But the trick for me is I mostly buy newly released music. I almost never buy full price older albums, since I either already own them on CD from when I was young and I can only buy so much vinyl for my money. There are always exceptions, but you don’t often see me buy the full back catalogue of some of my favourite bands.

I used to collect statues and PVC figures as well as vinyl and posters. Some of it was video games related(mainly statues) but most of it wasn’t. I stopped for the most part as it was costly and hard to display nicely in my small room.

I picked up a coupe of Statues, but man they take up some room! I remember having to work really hard to get u hands on this awesome SDCC exclusive Mumm-ra statue… Because it glows in the dark. Wonderful thing of beauty, but damn it is HUGE

Oh wow didn’t know that was made. That show is before my time but it looks awesome. That’s around sideshow’s heyday just around the post-bowen years. They’ve obviously done a lot of great work since then and have evolved into a much bigger industry juggernaut. It’s mad how many statue companies there are these days. If you have a favorite property then it probably has a statue for it these days.