Extron Crosspoint

My setup is exactly the same for the consoles I have on SCART, but I still have a few on component as well. Ultimately it doesn’t matter which I use in my setup, as the SCART goes through a Shinybow to convert to Component anyway.

I do find it a very slight pain to have two separate outputs of Component video, so I have to switch inputs on the TV. I would like to do a loopback of one Component, into the switch, and back out the other output. Ii’s doable, but you have to connect to the switch with an RS232 connection and do some custom configurations. I bought the cable, but haven’t dug into making it work yet.

Hi, can anyone help me?

1. I have a sony pvm 1341 and 1943MD both have RGB but no Component as far as I know they wont accept a Component signal.

2. I have a extron crosspoint ultra 8x8. I’m planning to run an output to RGBS to my pvm. I read that inputs have to have Csync if using rgbs. I contacted Retrogamecables.uk and they told me I could buy there upcoming console component cables (powered by retrotink) and it would work with my setup. But I don’t see how the switch will take the input component signal and then output it to rgbs to my pvm.

On their website for the PS1 cable it does say the console needs to be in RGB mode and not Y cb/pb cr/pr. But their Sega Mega Drive 1 cable says for tv’s that support 240p via component. Anyone know what will happen if I try this? Am I correct in thinking my PVM would need to be able to accept component signals? Are these cables actually RGB cables in a Component form factor, how do they handle sync and how will the crosspoint handle the sync signal?

1. I asked if there was a way to seperate the sync from the green signal off the component cables to convert it to RGBS. Is this possible? RGUK said I don’t need to seperate the sync and just plug it into the crosspoint.

2. Anyone else notice that RetroAccess seems to be defunct? I never see any stock ever on his site for console to BNC cables which is my first choice of cabling as he uses real coax etc but I’ve had no success in getting a reply via email so I’m forced to look into other cable choices.

3. With my setup is it true that I would have to use csync scart console cables then use scart to bnc breakouts to the switch for it to output rgbs to my pvm?

Thanks for your time.

Simply put, it won’t. These switches are “dumb”, and subsequently will only output exactly what is put in, and do not convert signals in any way.

You shouldn’t be using component cables at all. If your monitors don’t support it, there’s no reason to use it.

PS1 and Genesis will both support RGBS on their own with a SCART cable, then you use a SCART to BNC breakout cable to pass it through your Extron switch.

PS1/Genesis → SCART out → SCART to BNC breakout → Extron → RGBS BNC cable → PVM

Luckily, most consoles support RGBS natively, so you’re mostly just buying cables. You’ll need to mod some of them if you want RGB, like the NES, N64, etc.

Hi folks
Will an extron be able to take S-Video (over BNC) if it has RGBHV inputs on the back of the extron. How would I need to connect it to the extron?
Edit: apparently it does, woooo

Yep you’re right, they will do S-video. You just need an S-video to BNC breakout cable to get it into the Extron, then a reverse one to get it back to S-video on the other side.

2 Likes

Cool, I didn’t know they could do s-video!