Game Boy/Color/Advance OT + Collecting Thread - Get into it!

OH CRAP! interesting. I hope the digital brightness converter is just that and my version gets the same max brightness. I also saw his Atari Lynx screens are available for pre order. So Tempting.

Game gear and sms seem to work VERY good but there is some annoying sclaling with NES games. Still cool you can play them. LOVE Clash at Demonhead on NES.

1 Like

We shouldn’t include GBC. Nintendo does, but that’s largely a logictics thing. From what I read, Nintendo’s worldwide tracking wasn’t in line until around 2000 so they couldn’t get each territory’s sales accurately, which is the main reason why they lumped them together.

GBC had 500 exclusive games (not just dual mode black carts, 500 clear cart exclusives). It had more exclusive games than N64 had games total. And being many years later they used different design paradigms, and had more memory available, a true later generation. Eg the Zelda Oracle games took on many of the design tropes and cruft of Ocarina, compared to the minimalist perfection of LInk’s Awakening.

Any flash cart can. I was doing that stuff on my EZ Flash over 15 years ago.

Sounds like the Everdrive has just baked it in or something?

Ah, ok. I’m starting to look into flash carts now. And it probably does for that Everdrive.

Yes, it’s immediately obvious when you start to play, although I think the sprites on the submarine and plane stages seem the same size

Good point, particularly about the games having more cruft in their design because of the GBC’s better specs.

New challenger:

Midwest entering the GBC backlight screen arena. It retains the transflective ability when you turn off the backlight which is interesting, not sure if they’ve added a polymer sheet themselves to it or if it’s just a characteristic of the screen already. There’s a comment suggesting it’s the same as the BennVenn/McWill/TaoBao screen which might mean they also have this transflective property. Three hour battery is pretty poor though as the BennVenn screen is purported be around twenty. Good to see options and the ghosting doesn’t look too bad (I wouldn’t say it’s ghost-less though)
1 Like

That looks amazing, actually… I have to refrain myself from modding all my gameboys. It’s so fun to do, but I use them very minimally. I modded an AGB-001 with a AGS-101 screen, and I’ve played it maybe 3 times in the last year.

MUST. RESIST.

I hear ya, even minor mods like changing the colour of the buttons is fun. I’ve got a spare GBC that I’m hoping to put one of these new backlit screens in even though I prefer playing on the GBPlayer and probably won’t use it much.

Looks like it’s not one to one pixel mapping from what I can tell. Am I right? I can’t listen to the video right now.

I believe it’s integer scaled (x2).

EDIT: I think I’m wrong, the BennVenn screen is x4 according to this quote on retrorgb:

BennVenn also reports that it, “[o]ffers 4x linear up-scaling, zero conversion lag, frame locked 59.9hz to the GBCs original video. No interlacing artifacts. A color palette similar to the AGS 101 LCD.”

This might be the same? (although it looks x2 from the close-up shot) Seems the new screen all these modders are putting out have 12x the refresh rate of the AGS101!

I’ve never heard of this Midwest embedded but I have heard of Benn Venn and McWill. As far as I can tell, they all seem to be using a similar (likely the same) screen.

The thing with the Freckleshack is you don’t have to cut the shell and should be reversible if you want to go back. I feel like this is a semi sponsored video (a lot of his content feels that way to me). I could be wrong but he does seem to partner with certain vendors.

Anyway, I’m probably going to order the Freckle Shack since it’s cheaper and doesn’t require me to cut my shell and I don’t have a need for VGA out either.

I saw this freckle shack guide that shows there is some cutting to the case required but it’s MUCH easier than the AGS101 mod:

You can jump to the cut here. Cart slot pins also look like they need a trim but it all looks rather easy and quick (15 minutes according to the video)

Edit: I remember it being said there was no case mod, could this be a test version?

I think the vanilla GBC is clear as I could hope when I’m using it on public transport, so I don’t see much of the appeal of the backlit mods. Sure, it’s not as visible as a NGPC but that’s an S tier screen.

How does everyone here display or organize their Game Boy line of games? Looking for ideas because right now I just reach into a drawer hoping to find the game I’m looking for :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a tray full of loose carts and a small row on my shelf full of boxed games. It’s not ideal but it gets the job done for me.

I followed @Collz69’s tip and grabbed a mini storage box. Works pretty well!

(Though now I do have a stack of unfilled plastic cases which came with the carts)

Looks good! Do you have a link for where I can find something like this?

Installed the BennVenn mod, took 15 minutes for real.