Game Boy/Color/Advance OT + Collecting Thread - Get into it!

Thanks for the tip - I finally got round to picking one of these up (came in a pack of two for a fiver) and it’s great to have all my cartridges in one place.

Not sure where to put the individual plastic cart cases - guess I’ll use them when travelling. My leather GBP case only has space for 2 carts.

Did anyone play The Tower SP? I was reminded of it when looking up SimTower and Yoot Tower, seems cool but somewhat hard to track down here in Europe.

A review: http://gameshelf.jmac.org/2008/07/review-the-tower-sp-gba/

30 years.

Such an amazing system. I think I love it even more now than I did 30 years ago. :smiley:

I did some brief searching but couldn’t find much - did Nintendo do anything in recognition of this anniversary? What a missed opportunity.

Its amazing how far we’ve come when you compare modern handheld devices to what we had 30 years ago. Gameboy truly paved the way though. Not just with it’s games.

It had a printer, a camera, and a sonar device to capture fish from Bandai. And so much battery life compared to its contemporaries. It was a very small sign of what was to come.

I feel the same way as @fester in that I love it even more than I did back when it was current. I think given where games have gone it’s even easier to appreciate the razor-sharp focus in design that the Game Boy brought to the table.

It definitely paved the way for the idea that you can do more with less with both hardware and software design, and that mantra shines through with the very best Game Boy games. They were games which didn’t shine in spite of the Game Boy’s limitations but because of them - stuff like Tetris, Pokemon RGBY, Motorcross Maniacs, Donkey Kong '94, Link’s Awakening, Wario Land 2, Avenging Spirit, Final Fantasy Adventure, Amazing Penguin, Dead Heat Scramble…

I’m very glad I decided to revisit the GB’s library this year - I foolishly thought it wasn’t worth revisiting after I moved on to the Game Boy Advance back in 2001. While GBA games shine on their own merits it really takes a very specific approach to game design to make a Game Boy game that shines, and thus the top games on GB are quite unique today.

What is really interesting, looking back, is how long-lived the Game Boy was as a platform. If you include the Game Boy Color it was around for a good 12 years - 1989 to 2001 (I think the Oracles games launched in 2001).

While I recall the platform had its lulls in the mid 90s, it is remarkable how the hardware design approach and its games largely remained appealing throughout this time. When the Game Boy launched 8 bit systems were the competition at home. But by the time the platform was sunsetted consoles were looking like the PS2! It just speaks volumes for the timeless appeal of the platform. Pokémon wouldn’t have rocketed off years after Game Boy launched if that weren’t the case, since by 1996-1998 technology in the console space had progressed by a long shot.

1 Like

Wow, I’m older than the Game Boy itself. Also, that’s cool!

I remember it being released here in 1990 (UK) I was in my first year at high school, I remember asking to go the toilet and sneaking off to play super Mario Land. :grin:

Beautiful weather in Chicago today, made it easy to take the GB out and enjoy some classics.

2 Likes

These just arrived. Will be modding them with ags 101 screens pretty soon. Been playing the DMG A LOT lately. Still can’t believe I got the GB back in 1989 and still playing the system 30 years later. It’s just so good.

4 Likes

Congrats on getting the best color GBC!

I’m planning on installing the Freckle Shack screen on at least one of my units, but in direct sunlight I still think the original screen looks fantastic. Tried to snap a couple of pictures earlier today that would do it justice:

3 Likes

Yeah the Freckle Shack is the one I have pre ordered too. I am currently debating weather or not I need to install BennVenn’s voltage regulator on the GBA to achieve the brightness of a 101 SP on it’s brightest setting. Everywhere I look says that the standard mod gives you about the brightness of the low setting.

1 Like

Been trying out the newly released Super Mario Land DX rom hack

Really impressed so far

3 Likes

That looks awesome… I should really pick up an Everdrive GB and Everdrive GBA.

1 Like

I recently picked up both. The coolest part of the GB X7 Everdrive is how you can save at any point on the fly. The coolest part of the GBA X5 Everdrive is you can put emulators on it to run Sega Master System, Game Gear, and NES roms. Granted the scaling isn’t perfect but a neat bonus.

Is mario’s Sprite bigger?

1 Like

Wait, the GBA X5 Everdrive can play Game Gear and NES roms? I had no idea!

Just a heads up, I noticed that BennVenn has batch #4 of the Freckle Shack screen up for pre-order now. Includes some improvements and a price drop.

https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-backlit-gbc-drop-in-lcd-kit-pre-orders-batch-4

Yeah check out Master of Darkness on sms

2 Likes

What?! What else can I play on that? (How’s the emulation?)