Games that feature both 2D and 3D levels

This thread has a simple premise: just name games that feature both 2D and 3D levels. Maybe add a few screenshots while you’re at it, that’d be nice!

Let’s start with Konami’s Ajax (or Typhoon for us Europeans).

2 Likes

Next up: a trio of Disney games!

The Lion King

Mickey Mania

Toy Story

2 Likes

Early Ultima game did this a lot. Here’s Ultima IV for example:
proxy-image

2proxy-image

Starting with Ultima VI, the 3d dungeons went away and moved to a more seamless 2d/overhead view.

3 Likes

Reminds me of Phantasy Star!

30829_51c6c325f4b71b433d38a1177695da54bee9dd7e

phantasy-star-usa-europe-v1467676807.

5 Likes

Sonic 2 and 3 had sorta-3D bonus levels.

2 Likes

Thunder Blade

Though of course both are pseudo-3D using 2D.

Jurassic Park SNES

Lots of polygon 3D game shave 2D sections, from Crash Bandicoot games which have some side scrolling parts to Super Mario Odyssey.

3 Likes

Heh, I completely forgot about classic RPG’s like Ultima and Phantasy Star.

Anyway, lots of good ones in this thread already. Keep 'em coming!

2 Likes

Ninja time! Here’s Shinobi and Shadow Dancer.

Shinobi

Shadow Dancer

2 Likes

Just remembered an oldie: Irem’s Zippy Race (also known as Traverse USA, MotoRace USA and Mototour).

2 Likes

Time for some more Sega titles!

Rambo III

Moonwalker

Alien Storm

2 Likes

Technocop had 3D driving and 2D platforming/shooting sections.

Hostages had a 2D action sequence on the city streets when placing the snipers. Once inside the embassy, the camera had a wierd combo of FPS in the hallways and an over the shoulder view in the rooms.

3 Likes

I remember playing the Amiga version of Hostages at a friend’s place. Pretty cool game!

Wow that game (Hostages) looks fantastic! Never seen it before. Really playing to the Amiga’s strengths.

1 Like

Mega Man X7

C: The Contra Adventure

Getting the real kino out of the way

2 Likes

Vendetta on the C64. Last ninja style gameplay (minus the ninja), a very classy opening introduciton and a pretty sweet racing section in between levels.

I wanted this game so bad as a kid. When I was looking for a decent mix of gameplay styles, I would often play games in a session, creating my own story, like doing a level of one game, then playing outrun for a level pretending that the hero was driving to the next level, and the play, er, Hawkeye or something for a level or two etc. Load times were long :rofl:

1 Like

I loved The Last Ninja games back in the day, so Vendetta also looked really intriguing to me. It’s a shame that, like you, I never managed to get my hands on it. I’m sure I would’ve loved that game.

LMAO

A few modern examples:

Blazing Chrome

Shadow Gangs

The Takeover

1 Like

Cursed example; Batman & Robin game dot com

Couldn’t even find screenshots of the later “3d” levels so pulled it from some youtube videos.

2 Likes

Haha, didn’t expect to see the Game.Com make an appearance in this thread!

This reminds me of another Batman game that features both 2D and 3D levels: Batman Returns for the Mega CD.

1 Like