GBA to HDMI project by woozle is almost done.

You’re right. Some GBA games were designed around it with blown out gamma levels, but some weren’t.

Circle of the Moon clearly wasn’t (most of the detail isn’t even visible or hinted at on the original screen). Super Mario Advance 1 and 2 and Metroid fusion clearly were.

I think there are patches to GBA roms which even adjust the gamma for those that have it set too bright on a backlit display.

In many ways, a frontlit GBA SP may be a good compromise for the high-gamma games without needing ideal lighting conditions.

Yes indeed. However those patches actually do a lot more than set the gamma, they have to restore the palettes everywhere they are used in the game, often on a scene by scene basis. Big jobs.

image image

1 Like

Then it’s a good thing he said he’ll eventually be making a version of this for the SP also.

I got in on the preorder lottery, but it’s unclear to me when those units will be shipping out. I still need to find someone to install it for me, anyway.

I did not get picked for the lottery. Hoping these become readily available sooner than later. I feel like some of these videos are jumping the gun when for the next 6 - 12 months only 100 people are going to be able to buy one. It’s kind of like ohh look at this awesome amazing thing that no one can have.

I’m in the same boat. I’m following a few modders on Twitter that I might hit up once the kits ship to see if they’re willing to do a job outside of their standard offerings.

What’s nice is their are several “shaders” that can be changed in the OSD that mimics different palettes. So you can use the raw color data, or use a shader that replicates either the GBA, NDS, or PSP display outputs.