GBS 82XX - Upscale, deinterlace and now downsample

I didn’t say they did!

Good luck with your project.

Did installing the clock gen fix your screen tear issues? Was testing out Suikoden V in forced 480p and I feel like I was seeing screen tear very occasionally. More like it kind crawled up a portion of the screen.

I never got around to it as it was only in one game so I figured it was the game.

Plus there were people who only started having issues after fitting the clock gen. So I didn’t want to risk it.

I’ve been watching some unresolved issues regarding tearing on GitHub where a workaround is to power-cycle the GBS.

And welcome!

Thanks for the info! Looks like I’ll hold off for now. I’m only using it for my PS2 as I’m not a fan of Bob deinterlacing on my OSSC. I’m personally hoping the OSSC Pro will be a better, all in one solution whenever that comes out.

I also only use it for PS2 and it’s all I need TBH.

The new Web UI that I didn’t was never added, and since then somebody else came along and did their take on the Web UI. I think they’re new to OSS as the way they went about it was very random and without etiquette. But their timing was better than mine so here we are.

BUT, it seems to be good and it’s currently being merged, right now!, and as long as it brings a better UI that’s all that maters.

I hate to report back that I have been unable to get the GBS-C AIO to sync on any of my BVM and PVM monitors. I was attempting to downscale the switch in 480p to 240p but was never able to get a usable signal. I tried using both a VSC 700 and an RGB 201 rxi to transcode from RGBHV to RGBS but I always get a rolling picture.

Hmm, the Web UI sometimes gets stuck, I’ve had it where it showed I had downscale selected but it’s just not active, maybe try toggling it a few times? Hope you figure it out!

1 Like

Oh yeah, I did, I also tried toggling every other setting that seemed even remotely relevant. I did have the toggle set to RGB and was using the VGA out. I also had HDMI turned off. But yeah, got a weirdly yellow signal that always jumps around.

Sorry to hear that, the yellow signal sounds really odd! Does the AIO have a custom interface?

1 Like

Nope, it’s straight out of the box.

This may be of use? GBS 8200 + GBS Control: Hands-On with the Downscale Feature [English Version] | by Fabio Santana | RGB Inside | Medium

1 Like

Interesting. I read through it but they are using YPbPr instead of RGB. Makes me wonder if there’s a bug with RGB in my unit.

Are you inputting 480p RGBHV or RGBS?

Anybody know if this puts the OSSC’s oddball 960p signal into a 1080p window? My TV considers it a PC resolution and 960p typically looks considerably worse than 480p on my TV. This would be a godsend for me if it could do that.

Also how’s the motion adaptive deinterlacing? My TV does a decent job at handling 480i (I can’t stand the OSSC’s bob flicker), but I feel it could be better. It’s one of the things really holding me back from enjoying my PS2. Is this method better than typical 4K TVs handling of deinterlacing (or is it even the same, I have no clue how it’s done on TVs)?

Hmm not sure about 960p to 1080p, I think it can do a 480p>1080p though.

Motion adaptive deinterlacing is good but not best in class like the framemeister is for games. Some people have said it’s better than their TV’s inbuilt ability though so ymmv. I’m assuming a lot of TV deinterlacers are built around the assumption that interlaced signals are for video content rather than games. My impressions are it’s really good (my first device with m.a.d) but you get the odd minor artifacting at some edges, certainly nice to have as an option alongside bob-deinterlacing.

2 Likes

Thanks for this - I was considering pulling the trigger on that basis alone but I might wait to see how the new Retrotink 5x pans out.

1 Like

+1 Looking forward to seeing how the 5x motion adaptive deinterlacing for games stacks up against the GBS and Framemeister. I think OSSC Pro with community tuned deinterlacing should mean it’ll probably be the best device eventually but then there’s probably no reason why Tink can’t use the same algorithm/software.

@Danexmurder I was just reading that a sync combiner is needed to downscale some 480p signals. Does the AIO have one built-in?

https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control/issues/194

Also, has anybody tried the new UI yet? It’s really rather good!

1 Like

This is the exact issue I’m having. Good looking out @matt ! Looks like I’m going to need two sync combiners. Apparently I have a couple more electronics projects to do.

1 Like