GBS 82XX - Upscale, deinterlace and now downsample

I’m interested in making one so I’ll watch this space.

1 Like

I wanted to do an interest check. In order for 480p RGB downscaling to work with the GBS scaler you actually need a sync combiner unit to to convert RGBHV to RGBS before it enters the scaler.

I think these boards will do the trick and was going to make some up. Would anyone here be interested in buying one?

Here is the board schematic.

https://oshpark.com/profiles/Gcharlie84

Is this VGA connector to VGA connector? That’s what I’d need.

1 Like

Yep. It’s VGA in and out. The only thing this does is combine the sync.

1 Like

I’m in the UK which could complicate things. Fucking Brexit bollocks.

I’d quite enjoy making my own. I could do Europe fulfillment.

1 Like

If you’re into it you should totally make some! It doesn’t look too difficult, just have to have the PCbs produced and then track down all the parts. I’ve seen people make these on breadboards too using this as a guide.

https://www.epanorama.net/circuits/vga2rgbs.html

I have a bunch of VGA connectors already. I’m up for it. I’d need this to be in a neat box.

In case anyone is interested I fired off a handful of PCBs to oshpark. I should have 4 xnor sync combiners available in the future for RGB downscaling.

1 Like

I just bought some ICs and will try on a bit of breadboard first.

1 Like

Awesome! A use at github just sent this. You may find it helpful!

Yes, I saw that as I’m subscribed to that repo. So I went straight to buy some of those ICs.

Should be fun!

1 Like

I’ve never made anything on a bread board before and it looks pretty fun. I may have to try to make one of these small ones so it will just fit inside a shell. Any advice on doing that?

Well, I do have a bread board that I built when I was flashing my Ardunio Micro for my Mahjong-Hanafuda keyboard project. I bought a little bit of a kit for like £5 off eBay that had a some things I might need. I’ll be checking that for the resistors I’ll need for this sync combiner.

For prototypes I used the prefer to use pins and solder less connecting wires, so that it’s all plug and play. Those solder less wires come in a bunch of type, sometimes thick bendable wire, but I prefer the “dupont” type, which are pluggable male/female ends.

I keep the soldering for the final build!

there are a range of plug and play breadboard kits that you can get to build a thing to learn, and then afterwards you can use the parts for other projects.

1 Like

Well, I do have a bread board that I built when I was flashing my Ardunio Micro for my Mahjong-Hanafuda keyboard project. I bought a little bit of a kit for like £5 off eBay that had a some things I might need. I’ll be checking that for the resistors I’ll need for this sync combiner.

Super cool. Thanks for the little write up. I’m excited to see where you get to with your approach. Using dupont connectors for your initial testing is a great idea. It’d save so much time!

On a totally separate note I wanted to report that I did get my GBS-C AIO working for actual upscaling with my set up and it’s pretty great. It syncs everything just fine with my Elgato S+. Stoked I’ll be able to use it for capturing. I just need to get it set up for SCART instead VGA.

1 Like

If you get it setup with a SCART port this might be of interest: etim.net.au VGA To SCART Adapter

It’s a sync combiner, I think you need to disable the sync range blocker and then it should be good for 480p RGBHV > 480p RGBS for the GBS to downscale to 240p.

1 Like

Hey guys I ordered a pre-made kit online because I’m interested in putting this at end of my chain before my OSSC to line double 480i with the motion adaptive deinterlacing for hopefully better looking PS2 output. I’m curious though, if this is at the end of my chain that I split with other consoles that run games at 240p is it going to line double that as well or can I somehow configure that to passthrough without scaling?

1 Like

You’ll have to toggle ‘Source pass-through’ (it might be called something else in the new UI) in the web interface otherwise it will line double 240p to 480p.

1 Like

Nice. Glad that is a feature. Does the GBS have independent settings for different input resolutions like the OSSC?

1 Like

Yes, to a degree. you’ll have to see how well it works in your exact setup.

1 Like

I need to pick one up just to play around with it…maybe for YT