Japanese Gamecube on HD PAL Television

Hi everyone, I’m a long time lurker, first time poster so please excuse my ignorance on this matter.

I recently acquired a Spice Orange Japanese Gamecube and I want to get it working on my LG HD Television. I can’t recall the model number of the television but it’s about a year old and is a 4K 55 inch model. Unfortunately with the limited space I have a CRT is a no-go so I need to find a method to hook it up to the PAL LG I have.

Anyway, first thing I’ve found out is that the NTSC Gamecubes won’t work with a PAL SCART cable. That’s fine, I’ve ordered an NTSC S-video cable off ebay.

However I have very limited knowledge of s-video. The cable I’ve ordered has the Gamecube AV connector on one end and then the s-video and red and white connectors (which I assume are for sound) on the other. Now my HD TV doesn’t have an s-video input so what I’m wondering is would something like this do the trick to convert the s-video signal to my TV:

I’ve noticed on this however there is also a yellow input labelled CVBS.

Has anyone else used a similar method or is there something else I can do?

Any help you can give would be brilliant :grin:

1 Like

Best to go with component (expensive) or one of the upcoming HDMI solutions.

That box will likely give you pretty poor results, unfortunately. OSSC and Framemeister are the only decent scalers.

On a budget, you’d be much better off with a Wii via component direct to your TV most likely, unless it’s all about Game Boy Player.

Maybe wait for this

https://twitter.com/insurrection33/status/1025424016268513280?s=21

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ll investigate those options later on.

Unfortunately yes I’ve got the Gameboy Player too so the Wii isn’t an option for me :slightly_frowning_face: