Let's Play Series: Super Ghouls N Ghosts

I tried playing this on my SNESC the other day and got stomped. I will try more and see if I can finally make progress.

I have lots of memories playing this game as a kid. When i convinced my parents to get me a SNES, I only wanted and knew of Mario World and SF2. But Dad let me pick another game and together we chose Super G’nG. Buuuut of course when I played it, I was very disappointed because I couldn’t get far. Dad didn’t really mind although he’d pester me from time to time about the game beating me. Cause i felt bad that he let me get another game but i hadn’t really played it… several years later I eventually sat down and made my way through.

Until the end, found out about the 2nd loop and lost the bracelet within seconds of getting it and promptly gave up :smiley: But that was enough, by that point i really appreciated the game. Some of the best audio and graphics on the SNES. Back then i don’t even remember noticing the slowdown (how, i have no idea looking at it now!). I’ve tried to play the 2 prior entries but IMO they’re way harder. Possibly because my Dad isn’t pestering me to beat them. I quite enjoyed the PSP version though, which was tough but damn what a love letter to the series it was.

Right now I’ve only got S G’nG on Wii VC and SNES classic, but it’s on my list to find a SFC version as well. Given the memories i want a nice boxed copy, but it gets pricey then!

I got the SFC version and I am very awful at it.

I’ll have to give this a go as well. I really like the game but it’s just brutally difficult haha. But it’s still one of those games I pop in from time to time to give it a go. I can make it to level 4 usually but that’s where I usually give up. Gonna have to give it a more proper shot this month!

I haven’t patched anything before. I tried it yesterday and it booted to a black screen then hung there. I used the patch you linked and Lunar IPS to patch the rom. It seemed rather easy, maybe I’m missing something?

Try a different rom. I patched a “no intro” rom.

If you’re having trouble getting it patched hit me up on discord and I’ll “hook you up” if you know what I mean.

Thanks, I got it to work!

I played a couple games on beginner, didn’t make it to the end of the first level, haha. I never played much of this back in the day. I played the NES one though. Maybe I’ll play some of that as well. They’re difficult games but I don’t feel like they’re cheap but I need to play some more to make a final judgement.

Glad to hear it. Beginner? I’ve been trying to Start on normal and it’s been… Rough

Yep, only gaming time for me these days is when the kids are sleeping so pretty much easy mode on everything, lol.

Anyone know how accurate Super Ghouls’n Ghosts is on the SNES Classic?

I was able to snag one yesterday and am curious if I should play it on there or Wii VC.

I would not hate on anyone playing this game on snes classic because of save states.

About to jump into this, all I can think:

3 Likes

I’ve been playing this lately on my SNES and it’s beautiful, but so hard. I always felt that losing the ability to shoot up felt like a step backwards though and I can’t get over it. I’ll always prefer Ghouls N Ghosts because of this.

Made it to stage 4 for the first time! Making progress!

Damn! I’m going to make another attempt tonight. What difficulty are we all playing on?

Normal, but I have the lives cranked to 9. Since continues are basically free this just makes hitting the game over screen less likely, since it just eats time.

Gotcha. I’ll crank my lives up as well

I know this is my thread yet I lost all focus on playing this thanks to Odyssey. I will try and play some this weekend (no promises).

I made it to stage 5, but had to leave, left my SNES powered on to jump back in later tho!

GUYS I MADE IT TO LEVEL 2

NOW ONTO 3 holy shit

1 Like