"Madden's Game" - 30 for 30 Podcast

Just thought I’d share this really interesting piece of game history from ESPN of all places:

https://30for30podcasts.com/episodes/maddens-game/

Whether you like sports games or not, this is a fascinating look into one of the most influential games of all time. Those interviewed include Mike Mika, Trip Hawkins, and of course Madden himself. Don’t know why Wil Wheaton is narrating though.

Anyway, it’s a great look at the early days of Madden - and thusly, EA

Wil Wheaton’s smug narration of a certain book I just listened to was horrendous. Although I do enjoy the 30 for 30 podcasts so I guess I’m gonna have to put up with him just one more time.

1 Like

I really can’t figure out why they used Wheaton. It’s the only thing about the podcast that I didn’t like… fortunately, the interviewees do a lot of the work here.

Cool, thanks for sharing!

I was never a huge Madden fan. I probably played it the most on ps2 and xbox. The exclusive license really turned me off from it. NFL 2k5 was such a good game and only $20! For my football fix my go to game is Tecmo Super Bowl (either og or updated rosters depending on my mood).

Yup, that’s how I feel about this. 30 for 30s are good enough generally to put up with a random bad one.

The follow on discussion is pretty good too.

1 Like