Mega Drive/Genesis Mini - Sept 19th - M2 emulation/6 Button Pad/Yuzo Koshiro

Sega going from having the worst mini consoles to what will likely be the best. Just give us Tecnosoft games this time around!

3 Likes

They gave you some Tecnosoft, @anon8946355

New Games Announced: - - Super Fantasy Zone - Landstalker - Thunder Force III - Shinobi III - Contra: Hard Corps - World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck - Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - Earthworm Jim - Streets of Rage 2 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2

This thing is a marvel and we’re only half done!

1 Like

Thought you missed M.U.S.H.A., but I only saw the JP list. Why would they take that off?

Wait, M.U.S.H.A is on the JPN console?

Never mind… I see the list now. Fingers crossed it’s in the reveals for the last 20 in the US.

There was also some word that there wouldn’t be multiple games from the same series on the JP version so they may have more room for other games since it’s clear that rule doesn’t apply to the western version.

Not sure how accurate that “rule” was but do remember there being votes on which game of certain series people would rather, like Sonic 1 or 2, and it does explain the lack of Sonic 2/only one of the Mickey games on theirs now.

It’s crazy that Contra Hard Corps is in it, guess I got to do my Youtube playthrough before the system is out.

1 Like

And it’s a great pick!

Very happy that Contra HC made it on too.

1 Like

Seems about as expected.

“old man shakes fist at non-OG hardware”

I guess one thing about Genesis is that the OG composite video quality is absolute shit whereas with SNES (16 bit rival) you can go S-Video with any US system (not sure about other regions) and it’s pretty decent.

/more ranting…
I personally see no reason for anything but OG hardware and a CRT. I know that’s not feasible for the masses, but it’s what I want and what I want for the masses so they can enjoy these games as they were designed. When I got back into retro gaming years ago I played Revenge of Shinobi and Super Metroid via S-video on my 2009 Panasonic Plasma (still my main HD gaming TV) and it sucked. Six months or so later I decided to drop $10(!) on a craigslist Sanyo 20" CRT and it was a completely different experience (for the better!). [edit] Kevtris FPGA’s are great option as well.

1 Like

Reviews arriving today…

DF Retro this weekend apparently, but all signs point to YES you want this.

I’m a CRT4LIFE guy but I can clearly see a reason for all of these different ways to play old games, and that reason is original hardware just isn’t ever gonna be for the masses. I’d much rather 10 million people play these classic games through emulation, classic consoles, and even ports/remakes than 10,000 hold onto them along with sweet setups full of original hardware. A decent implementation of any of these is more than enough for people to enjoy these games, which is the only intent I would worry about.

I can totally see people not wanting to deal with the mess that is original hardware today.

You either need a CRT (already a big jump for most) and (if you want good quality) a mess of mods and cables, and/or an upscaler if you want to pump everything into a flat panel. You also have the option to mod (some) systems for HDMI and bypass the need for a few of the cables. This doesn’t even factor in getting the consoles (and you may want to get the nice/mod compatible versions of these consoles which is more tricky/expensive) plus the insanity of buying the games or shelling out $$$ on Everdrives and ODEs for any system you want.

(Man when I put it like that it makes me look like a chump! :thinking:)

These devices are an excellent way to bring these games back for people who want to revisit or new kids that want to see them for the first time. Consider many people may play Gunstar Heroes or Shinobi III for the first time in the coming weeks!

I’m getting one but mainly because I’m a monster Sega fan and I would buy it regardless of having many of the included games already. For so many more, these games will be new. And many of them hold up extremely well and outclass most of the 2D indie output these days.

Acording to amazon my Japanese unit will arrive this Thursday. Can’t wait! What do gus think? A live Unboxing?

There will probably be a million unboxings of it this week but probably not so many Japanese Mega Drive versions. Do it!

Europe got screwed with a late release, so if anyone is getting the American versions, please tell me if it has the double input bug that a YouTuber said it had. Not a real breaker but want to confirm if he was just talking out of his ass or they will fix it if its a thing.

I’m really happy all the reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Can’t wait to play these games again.

Tomorrow is Genesis day for preorders! Anyone else excited?

Is it stupid to get this in the hope I’ll be able to board transplant my tired three button controllers into the new ones?

Got mine today and it’s super cute! Gonna test shortly but the physical quality of it is really nice at least.

1 Like