Mega Drive/Genesis Mini - Sept 19th - M2 emulation/6 Button Pad/Yuzo Koshiro

The Japanese Mega Drive Mini Accessories set comes with a very nice surprise!! Major Fan Service!

1 Like

I’m in!

2 Likes

That tower of power is amazing…

1 Like

Looking great!

1 Like

Ooh you got two pads with yours. Nice.

Mega CD secret.

1 Like

Yeah, two of the wrong pads… Haha

That is really cool about the Mega CD!

I was having a hard time noticing any sound delay as well. Admittedly I haven’t played most of these games on a real machine since the 90’s (or at all). I was trying out Columns, as that was one that MLiG mentioned was easy to spot, but for me it seemed on time. But then a friend here disagreed and was saying he noticed it right away in Sonic’s jumps and getting knocked to the ground in Golden Axe. But he hasn’t played the originals for years either.

I’m wondering if the TV is partly to blame, though tbh I don’t know if that’s even a thing for sound. Either way I don’t think it will be a hindrance to most people.

Also, some people were saying there are double inputs in the menu, but I don’t think that’s right. The menu controls just have a very fast repeat rate when you hold down a direction, which some people might find too sensitive I guess.

1 Like

Can’t wait to get mine. Whenever it’s hacked I’m gonna load it up with all the games from the other regions and a bunch of Toaplan shmups, yeaaaahhhh.

Thought this was neat, looks like the new mini case was made at the same plant in China that did the og Mega Drive, Saturn and DC amongst other console hardware.

3 Likes

Whaaat? That’s so cool!

Anyone know if the three button controllers can be board swapped with original hardware?

Just decided to check for you, and the answer is “sort of”.

There is a small post inside the original that only sticks part way through the controller. That post is smaller than all the others, and the original PCB has a smaller hole in that corner to accommodate it.

Original

New

Original PCB in new case

If you wanted to put the original board in the new case, you could easily just drill the corner of the PCB.

If you wanted to put the new PCB in the original case, it doesn’t fit, because the small chip makes contact with the d-pad membrane. You cannot use the new PCB in the original case at all, as the d-pad design is quite a lot different in the new ones, and they are not interchangeable.

More pics. Sorry about the dirty old one that I’ve apparently never cleaned. Original one is on the left..

4 Likes

Thanks for going to the trouble to check for me! I’m going to pull the trigger on one because like the NES Classic and SNES Classic before it half the fun of these releases for me is getting high quality reproductions of the original controllers and swapping them over to use on real hardware.

Yeah that would be nice for sure. Old pcb in an all-new shell, with brand new buttons & membranes. Only one small hole to drill.

These new 3-button controllers are actually pretty great. Really like the d-pad on these. In fact, it’s been so long since I used a new original 3-button pad, I can’ t remember exactly how the d-pad felt brand new. I don’t remember them feeling this good however. For that, I’m actually happy we’re getting these instead of the 6-button.
Btw, the 6-button pad that comes with the Asian/JP version is a smaller version anyway. I’ve never used one but it looks less comfortable than the US 6-button pad.

The JP 6 button was shockingly small for me! It comes in a minuscule box as well. I think it’s because my memory is mostly of the huge 3 button pad, even though i’ve used the western 6 button years ago.

Having said that, the JP one is excellent and super comfortable! It’s actually around the size of a SNES pad so it’s not that small actually. Street Fighter on a pad hasn’t felt this good to me in years - being new, the D-pad feels even better than my crusty Saturn pads. With all the hooplah around modern D-pads these days, I find myself wondering how we got to this point. D-pads were mastered 25+ years ago ffs!

1 Like

It’s been hacked.

1 Like

I don’t want anything more than to extract the roms. Also, this thing is laggy.

It’s no more laggy than a snes mini or a Raspberry Pi.